Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Its Official! How American firms fleece Brits

Its Official! How American firms fleece Brits

Article in Yahoo today

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/how...ece-brits.html

Relates to pricing of computers and cameras but the principals could apply to shooting gear as well.

Bob

Bob,

Wow, Apple fleece us by pricing 5.8% more than in the USA.

Why would you think that an items price would be the same in all countries? Cost of doing business isn't the same in all countries.

Stan

Transatlantic shipping, cost of currency hedging, offshore licenses, aligning to foreign regulations, ASA, etc. etc. different plug and current/voltage requirements for much smaller markets...

5% makes sense to me...

none of it makes sense.
    its the Big Mac theory.

Theory goes that you can work out a country's rank in terms of cost of living and economy by the local price of a big mac.
    unfortunately it isn't replicated by all firms and the product prices.

How can a car built in Germany be cheaper in the US? It has to cost more to send it there

I recall a few years ago the mother in law purchased a new saab convertible, fancy thing...was about 50K or more here in the UK, she paid $34K!!!!

now they come from Sweden, you'd think sending them just across the North Sea would be cheaper! LOL...

we might as well just get used to it, at least we don't have to deal with the Sarkozy's or Berlusconi type leaders...until Salmon comes into force of course,,on that note, I hear he will be using the swastika as his party logo...

I buy most of my shooting gear from Cabelas in the US. It is far better clothing than we buy here in the UK. It is still a good price even when you add postage and import duty.
    But I understand where your coming from. I always check how stronge the pound is to the dollar before checking out my goods.
    Cheers Andrew

Do bear in mind that American competition laws are far stronger than in Europe.atb Tim

I was once told that American Firms call the British Isles the Treasure Isles as they can make much more profit here in a quicker time span.

Quote Originally Posted by timbrayford View Post
    Do bear in mind that American competition laws are far stronger than in Europe.atb Tim
    ??

unless you are a grain producer or a steel manufacturer or a petroleum firm or a ........

They have forcibly shut out foreign producers of materials and products that US producers have a good line in.
    The steel tariff was a good example of government sanctioned closing of free trade to protect uncompetitive US producers.

Apparently it is not two way traffic when it comes to US pricing!

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    I was once told that American Firms call the British Isles the Treasure Isles as they can make much more profit here in a quicker time span.
    I guess the Brits used to say the same, so not much different,,,, except the yanks don't come over here and try to kill us...