Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New gun conditioning

New gun conditioning

Hi All,
    I'm looking for some advice on the best way to condition a new gun. Reports on Google are conflicting.
    Many thanks
    John

do you mean 'break in'?

5 serieds of 10 shots, with full cleaning regime between each shot....or you can do like me, zero and use...

Are you referring to running in the barrel?
    if so the following might be worth a read
    http://www.hps-tr.com/wipe-out.asp

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    do you mean 'break in'?

5 serieds of 10 shots, with full cleaning regime between each shot....or you can do like me, zero and use...
    Im a bit more fussy about the shooting of my gun barrels...

Fire 5 single shots, cleaning in-between each shot.
    Fire 3 lots of 3 rounds, cleaning in-between every 3 shots.
    Finally i fire 3 lots of 5 rounds, cleaning inbetween every 5 shots.

Total of 29 rounds to shoot in the barrel properly, never had any cleaning/fouling or accuracy issues after this regime.

If your using something like KG1 Carbon & Wipeout it makes the job a piece of piss anyway.

Dale
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion... it's just that yours is stupid!!

Never heard so much crap in all my days get it zeroed and go and shoot something .

Quote Originally Posted by widows son View Post
    Never heard so much crap in all my days get it zeroed and go and shoot something .
    Yes, you could always listen to widows son, but in my opinion you will limit your barrel life & accuracy choosing not to follow some sort of breaking in regime.
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion... it's just that yours is stupid!!

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Assassin View Post
    Yes, you could always listen to widows son, but in my opinion you will limit your barrel life & accuracy choosing not to follow some sort of breaking in regime.
    Deer assassin ,think you need a wee visit to Calum ferguson or at least to one of his lectures may give you a different perspective on your rifle cleaning .I've had a lot of new rifles through my hands never had a problem with any of them and I've never used and solvents throught the barrels either the first round down the barrel fills in all the pitting that you've just cleared out using your copper solvents .

in my humble opinion, it doesnt make a to55 of a difference over the useful lifespan of the rifle.

Johny,

There are differing schools of thought on this. Some adopt a similar regime to that suggested by Deer Assasin. Others say "just shoot it". Both approachs have advocates who are very experienced and highly respected.

Its your decision.

For what its worth, the way I look at it is you've just spent alot of hard earned money on a rifle. What's another, say, forty quid on a box of bullets to run it in. Running in certainly won't do any harm. The worst that can happen is you've "wasted" some cash on a box of bullets. In reality, you'll have spent some time and care getting to know your gun under controlled conditions. Also, if some of the experts are to be believed, you've prolongued the life of its barrel and given it the best chance of shooting accurately in the coming years.

Hope this helps.

Bob