New gun conditioning

JohnyC

Hi All,
I'm looking for some advice on the best way to condition a new gun. Reports on Google are conflicting.
Many thanks
John

do you mean 'break in'?

5 serieds of 10 shots, with full cleaning regime between each shot....or you can do like me, zero and use...

do you mean 'break in'?

5 serieds of 10 shots, with full cleaning regime between each shot....or you can do like me, zero and use...

Im a bit more fussy about the shooting of my gun barrels...

Fire 5 single shots, cleaning in-between each shot.
Fire 3 lots of 3 rounds, cleaning in-between every 3 shots.
Finally i fire 3 lots of 5 rounds, cleaning inbetween every 5 shots.

Total of 29 rounds to shoot in the barrel properly, never had any cleaning/fouling or accuracy issues after this regime.

If your using something like KG1 Carbon & Wipeout it makes the job a piece of **** anyway.

Dale

Yes, you could always listen to widows son, but in my opinion you will limit your barrel life & accuracy choosing not to follow some sort of breaking in regime.
Deer assassin ,think you need a wee visit to Calum ferguson or at least to one of his lectures may give you a different perspective on your rifle cleaning .I've had a lot of new rifles through my hands never had a problem with any of them and I've never used and solvents throught the barrels either the first round down the barrel fills in all the pitting that you've just cleared out using your copper solvents .

Johny,

There are differing schools of thought on this. Some adopt a similar regime to that suggested by Deer Assasin. Others say "just shoot it". Both approachs have advocates who are very experienced and highly respected.

Its your decision.

For what its worth, the way I look at it is you've just spent alot of hard earned money on a rifle. What's another, say, forty quid on a box of bullets to run it in. Running in certainly won't do any harm. The worst that can happen is you've "wasted" some cash on a box of bullets. In reality, you'll have spent some time and care getting to know your gun under controlled conditions. Also, if some of the experts are to be believed, you've prolongued the life of its barrel and given it the best chance of shooting accurately in the coming years.

Hope this helps.

Bob

I'm by no means an expert, but I'd imagine a non-lapped or poorly lapped barrel would benefit 'more' from proper running in than a nice hand-lapped custom barrel...perhaps it's a quality thing, hence why the remmy owners in the states always insisted on the rather extensive running in regime...at least that's my perception, which can be way off....any thoughts?

Thanks to All,
as i said at the start the reports on Google were contradicting each other.........
Wiltshire boy i have read the link (it did work) and it was interesting however i dont have a week to sort.
I will however take on board what all the experienced shooters say and i will to an extent 'condition' the gun before going out stalking.

many thanks

John

put a dozen through it on a zero, pull through, fire a 5 round group, if happy use if not keep going in 3 round groups between pulls to you are or burst into tears and take up golf..

I am with widows son and craigievarkiller on this one I give rifles a rub down when wet and put a rod through the barrel when they go off song thats it.
As mentioned in previous posts I have a Sako in .243 that has fired somewhere between 27,000 and 30.000 rounds
of course the barrel won't last as long as it would if I had ran it in and cleaned it regularly.

These boys know a bit about barrels may be worth a read

http://www.border-barrels.com/articles/shoot-in.htm

hope this works as haven't posted a link before!

Bob is right, worst case scenario you wasted a few quid on some rounds and spent some time getting to know the rifle.

cheers

Rich

'These boys' is the one that taught Calum Ferguson his trade.

They have done a couple of barrels for me and I have followed the advice pretty much to the letter - must say the barrels never pick up any crap at all.

It's worth mentioning though that after two or three shots almost nothing comes out -a whole lot of crap the first one or two shots though. I don't see that tramping that into the barrel with succeding shots will do it any good?

I am worried that I may have ruined the barrel on the cz rifle i bought 15yrs ago, when can I expect it to stop hitting deer, I recon there can,t be much life left in my 1974 marlin, do you think it's to late to start cleaning them now.

Back