Thread: steyr trigger adjustment

steyr trigger adjustment

Does anyone know if and or how to adjust the trigger pull on a steyr pro hunter / mountain, there is adjustment for the set trigger which is frighteningly light and I don't use, but the standard trigger is a bit heavy just wandered if anyone has any thoughts the book that came with the rifles says to speak to the dealer but they are salesmen not gunsmiths
    cheers Nick

i have had 3 pro mtns and i am pretty sure it is only the set trigger that can be adjusted ,as you said it is very light from the factory .

Ive never felt the need to adjust mine, its crisp and light enough for me. Will have a look when I get a moment.

I think you can adjust the trigger when you remove the stock, but I never tried that. It is not in the manual as they say only "Steyr approved gunsmith" can do that, but I cant imagine it to be too difficult.

Hello Nick.

The adjustment screw on Steyr Pro Hunters affects both set and standard trigger weights. If you wind it in to max you will have a light set trigger, but a very heavy standard trigger pull, however, wind the screw out, and you will have a light standard trigger, but the set trigger will not engage. This is at approx 4lbs pull weight on the standard trigger. Less than this ( on my rifles.... ) and the set will not engage. Not a problem for me, as I don`t use the set trigger, and think it should only be used on the range anyway.... FAR TOO LIGHT for use in the feld.

All the best.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Hello Nick.

The adjustment screw on Steyr Pro Hunters affects both set and standard trigger weights. If you wind it in to max you will have a light set trigger, but a very heavy standard trigger pull, however, wind the screw out, and you will have a light standard trigger, but the set trigger will not engage. This is at approx 4lbs pull weight on the standard trigger. Less than this ( on my rifles.... ) and the set will not engage. Not a problem for me, as I don`t use the set trigger, and think it should only be used on the range anyway.... FAR TOO LIGHT for use in the feld.

All the best.

Neil.
    +1 on that Neil, scary @@@t that set trigger....Its almost like an auto trigger, the moment you think about shooting the thing has fired

Hello Stevie.

Had a fright at Bisley once.... Was zeroing on Short Siberia, and a chap asked to have a go on the rifle, never having used a Steyr - using the set trigger ( he was also zeroing there ), so ok, said yes...

Got him set up at the bench, one round only - rifle in shoulder, barrel pointing down range, he set the trigger, safety to fire, and then re-adjusted stock to get comfy, and BANG, off it went... I think he almost needed new pants..... I saw the bullet strike about 4 feet below the top of the sand bank, and they are high.....

So now, NO set trigger ever, for me........

All the best.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Hello Stevie.

Had a fright at Bisley once.... Was zeroing on Short Siberia, and a chap asked to have a go on the rifle, never having used a Steyr - using the set trigger ( he was also zeroing there ), so ok, said yes...

Got him set up at the bench, one round only - rifle in shoulder, barrel pointing down range, he set the trigger, safety to fire, and then re-adjusted stock to get comfy, and BANG, off it went... I think he almost needed new pants..... I saw the bullet strike about 4 feet below the top of the sand bank, and they are high.....

So now, NO set trigger ever, for me........

All the best.

Neil.
    At least it ws on a range and not out in the fields.....I think if you were spending a lot of time on the range it would be useful but for me, I practice at the raneg for shooting out in the field so I sue the standard trigger. Did you see the stock I had made for mine ...I do love the rifle adn now its even better..

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...da-Walsh/page2

Hello Stevie.

Yes, I saw your pictures, and followed the thread with interest. I like the stock design very much, and it does look very nice indeed. Was toying with the idea of a MacMillan drop in stock in marbled colours, but having seen your laminate, I think I like that approach better. Especially with the accuracy you are getting now....

Will need to save my pennies as I have two Pro Hunters, and to be honest, although I get good accuracy generally, the occasional flyer, always sows the seeds of doubt as to the quality of the stock.

If it is not too cheeky to ask, could you PM me the price of your Enda stock, as I am seriously interested now that you are raving about your results.... Also, did you bed it, or was it a drop in ??

All the best.

Neil.