Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: old aged fallow doe

old aged fallow doe

hope you find this of some interest .
    i am fortunate to get invited to stalk a very special wood keepered by a true countryman who has been on the estate since he was a lad and now is near retirement age .
    19 years ago he caught and collared a young fallow doe the collar being white .
    she has returned to the same wood every year since and has had 18 fawns with 2 perishing .she has returned again this year although i haven't seen her yet .
    it is presumed she doesn't leave the estate and it would be a brave stalker that shot her unless she was suffering .
    i am sure you would agree it is a fair age for a wild fallow doe and testament to a true stalker who cares about ''his'' wood .it is a true privilege to stalk there and i would drop anything just for the opportunity .

cheers

norma
    Last edited by norma 308; 24-04-2012 at 05:47.

hi, would she still be baring fawn at that age? genuie question.stav
    if your going too be dumb you have too be tough

we will soon be finding out.my keeper friend said she looked very heavy and he has seen his fair share of fallow does as you can imagine !

well i,d like to know the end result, i,m intrigued now. stav

she had lasts years fawn at foot still too ,whenever i have seen her she was always at the front of a small group dare say she knows every inch of that wood much like the keeper eh ! quite a bit of forestry work going on at the moment .this will probably mess things up for her as it is the quarter she seemed to like the best .

Quote Originally Posted by stav View Post
    hi, would she still be baring fawn at that age? genuie question.stav
    Yes. As long as she is able to get enough nutrition.

Cheers Sharkey

nice interesting post hope she fares well for many more seasons makes a change to read of somthing thats not been blasted into the afterlife

a little update ,went and saw the keeper this am ,the old doe was on one of the rides that lead from his cottage last week and looking fit to burst so wont be long i shouldnt imagine before she pops .

regards norma

Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    a little update ,went and saw the keeper this am ,the old doe was on one of the rides that lead from his cottage last week and looking fit to burst so wont be long i shouldnt imagine before she pops .

regards norma
    Ace!

thanks for the up date
    stav