Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Why so many Munti Bucks

  1. #1

    Why so many Munti Bucks

    Hello everyone
    I dont like talking numbers but I need to put this up for your views,as I dont quite understand what was going on,although I have my ideas.
    I took on a private block of trees of 120 acres mostlly Ash and Oak , to control the Muntjac poulation adjoining a block of conifers of 210 acres supposedly managed by the Forestry C.
    The only use it was getting was as a fox covert, it being previously owned by the local hunt.
    Since I have been there we have cleared out rides and thinned out a small amount of the rubbish mainly Bramble and Blackthorn.
    On to the point
    These are the cull figures,Muntjac only.
    2006. 26 bucks 3 does
    2007. 19 bucks 5 does
    2008. 20 bucks 3 does
    2009. 15 bucks 4 does
    2010.20 bucks 9 does
    2011.26 bucks 9 does
    2012.4 bucks 3 does to date.
    I hasten to add I was not seeing many does,why on earth so many bucks.
    We now have Nightingales nesting in the woods and have Roe moving in.

  2. #2
    It's quite normal to shoot 2:1 Munty bucks to does. Are you seeing many does and do the FC shoot up to your border? What age are the bucks? Could the bucks be young and trying to hold a territory? Try find out what numbers the hunt were seeing as they went through, this would be a fair indication. There must be a raft of does in there!

  3. #3
    Thanks Deer man.
    The forestry havent shot the bit they were managing for 10 years or so. I am not seeing many does at all. Most of the bucks are young and very old with no quality at all. Nothing of good body weight.
    The reason I was asked to do the wood was because it became a bit of a joke when the hounds went into draw muntis were everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by deer man View Post
    It's quite normal to shoot 2:1 Munty bucks to does. Are you seeing many does and do the FC shoot up to your border? What age are the bucks? Could the bucks be young and trying to hold a territory? Try find out what numbers the hunt were seeing as they went through, this would be a fair indication. There must be a raft of does in there!

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by wildfowler1 View Post
    Thanks Deer man.
    The forestry havent shot the bit they were managing for 10 years or so. I am not seeing many does at all. Most of the bucks are young and very old with no quality at all. Nothing of good body weight.
    The reason I was asked to do the wood was because it became a bit of a joke when the hounds went into draw muntis were everywhere.
    It sounds like your getting a lot of immigration from the FC land. If your body weights are poor and you have a lot of deer in there I would go for a shoot on sight policy. The more does the better! Get some seats up on the border with the FC and try thin them out as they come in!

  5. #5
    You know what they say.....

    You shoot one and 2 come to his funeral!
    "If you don't belong, don't be long"

  6. #6
    Thanks for your advice .I have got seats up against the fc rides.
    I have just finished cutting another ride along two boundarys over 200yds long to do exactly what you have just suggested I do.
    The body weights are better this year 2@30lbs. We have been feeding pheasants all winter which has obviously helped.

  7. #7
    out of interest what are your average grollached weights !!!!

  8. #8
    Hi stalkerboy
    2006 clean weight average was18lbs
    2011 clean weight average was 23lbs.Starting to improve.Away from large areas of trees we are getting 32lbs too 38lbs clean latter being exceptional

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by wildfowler1 View Post
    Hi stalkerboy
    2006 clean weight average was18lbs
    2011 clean weight average was 23lbs.Starting to improve.Away from large areas of trees we are getting 32lbs too 38lbs clean latter being exceptional
    What is the other habbitat? I am presuming bramble and scrub? Keep at it!

  10. #10
    25-30foot high blackthorn, rare butterfly habitat!! Dog rose,bramble, hazel, honeysuckle, wild garlic blue bells rough horrible long grass,you name it ive got it in the wood, I am worn out.But I am getting grant money now for ride clearance, high seats, maintainance of rides stalking,and putting up 4 deer excluders 3 x 3meters.
    Just out of interest we got a Purdey award a couple of years ago for habitat improvment.

Similar Threads

  1. .223 Munti Bullet
    By chickenman in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 22-09-2011, 14:34
  2. Munti Hide
    By chickenman in forum Taxidermy & Trophy Preparation
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 19-10-2010, 21:17
  3. .223 the calibre of choice for munti and cwd
    By Gunman in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-05-2010, 12:11
  4. Munti leg on the barby!
    By Gunman in forum Carcass Prep, Butchery & Recipes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-05-2010, 21:53
  5. still no bucks
    By bunnydan in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-06-2009, 12:07

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •