whats out there????

nuttyspaniel

Im geting myself a 243wssm, and will be using it for Roe and fox. I would like to run 70-80grn bullets through it. Now Ive just read lightyears 243 and light bullet thread and replies with interest. In the past I used 100grn bullets with an old sako 243 as I was getting the odd Red but there isnt reds in the scope. So this time I would prefer to use a lighter bullet.

Now heres my question!!!!

What bullets do you think are suitable for the job in mind?? and I will be homeloading.

nutty

Did someone offer you a good deal on a rifle in that caliber?? You do know that the WSSM calibers are dying a lingering death here in the US, right? ~Muir

Did someone offer you a good deal on a rifle in that caliber?? You do know that the WSSM calibers are dying a lingering death here in the US, right? ~Muir

They are dying out over here as well. Ive access to dies and brass so theres no problem. Any how U was wondering about available bullets.

nutty

Last edited:
How about these which have just been recommended to me by Russell Gall who built my 243?

http://www.midwayuk.com/apps/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?SaleItemID=390986
http://www.midwayuk.com/apps/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?SaleItemID=168957

As per the comment above, my preference is for something a little heavier ~87gr and a better BC. Good luck. JCS

Cheers JCS these are another 2 Ive given a good hard look, what do you think their suitabiltiy for Roe would be? And to be honest thats my dilema..

nutty

Is there an issue, apart from cost, in using the 85 grain tipped TSX?

From my calculations that bullet should be flatter and resist the wind better than any other "game" bullet of lighter weight in the 243 and the WSSM has plenty of capacity to push it fast.

There is an experienced stalker I know swears by the 75 grain V-max for lung shooting roe but he's shooting them from a .243.

I don't know if the extra velocity would tip it over the edge as far as frangibility goes.

Is there an issue, apart from cost, in using the 85 grain tipped TSX?

From my calculations that bullet should be flatter and resist the wind better than any other "game" bullet of lighter weight in the 243 and the WSSM has plenty of capacity to push it fast.

There is an experienced stalker I know swears by the 75 grain V-max for lung shooting roe but he's shooting them from a .243.

I don't know if the extra velocity would tip it over the edge as far as frangibility goes.

Cost yes I have a habit on shooting holes in paper!!!!!!!!!!!! As for what you say regards the V-max that's exactly what Im worried about using lighter bullets.

Nutty

Cost yes I have a habit on shooting holes in paper!!!!!!!!!!!! As for what you say regards the V-max that's exactly what Im worried about using lighter bullets.

Nutty

Frankly my thoughts are it's a pretty daft rifle and chambering for target shooting. There are far better more commonly available cartridges and chamberings for such use.

Frankly my thoughts are it's a pretty daft rifle and chambering for target shooting. There are far better more commonly available cartridges and chamberings for such use.

Your right and I would perhaps buy a rifle chambered for target shooting if I was into that!! I jst like using my rifle and being confident in it and myself when it used for food................................

Your right and I would perhaps buy a rifle chambered for target shooting if I was into that!! I jst like using my rifle and being confident in it and myself when it used for food................................

Well I am not "Into" target shooting as some are but do spend time when possible on the range. Load development etc and just plain ole practice. Bearing in mind some of the daft legislation we have to deal with noticeably the Expanding ammunition farce I acquired a couple of rifles more suitable for said range practice. Suitable FMJ bullets or non expanding are not so common in say .243/6mm or 270. 7mm/.28 cal is a bit better served in this respect but .22 and .30 cal are where you will find the choice. I know lot will point out about the 6mm PPC and 6mm BR but let's face it not that many shops will carry the target bullets in 6mm. Not round here anyway but in .22 and .30 cal well :D .

Let's face it your trying to abide by their rules so you have the perfect reason to acquire another rifle for just such use. I would suggest one in .222 Remington or .223 Remington for the availability of plenty of good target type ammunition. Good for vermin and small deer too if so conditioned ;). Economical on powder usage too :thumb:.

Or perhaps a .308 or 7.62mm. One can pick up a decent target rifle very reasonably if one looks about. A few years ago I gave £95 for a Sportco Model 44 single shot target rifle in 7.62x51 and it was only in 2010 I acquired the P-H 1200TX also in 7.62x51 for the grand sum of £85. OK I was just in the right place at the right time on that one.

Its pretty much the last calibre I'd ever pick; light bullets and fast speeds are not my thing when it comes to roe. But I would look at something like a 90gr Accubond, which according to Nosler data should get you around 3200+fps and something like a 105gr A-max for targets and fox.

I feel really sorry for this poor guy, he comes on and asks a perfectly sensible question and everyone decides that they are experts and tells him what a crap choice of calibre he has made! With regard to the question being asked, the 75gr V-Max would be my choice, they are not as visious when they get out to around 100-150 yards and beyond and inside of that you can neck them if you are concerned about damage.

I feel really sorry for this poor guy, he comes on and asks a perfectly sensible question and everyone decides that they are experts and tells him what a crap choice of calibre he has made! With regard to the question being asked, the 75gr V-Max would be my choice, they are not as visious when they get out to around 100-150 yards and beyond and inside of that you can neck them if you are concerned about damage.

Hmmm let's see the chap asks some questions and well I suppose we could all be like the Gun Whores and tell lies about how good the choice is.

Surely the time to ask these questions is before one buys the rifle in a strange chambering not after one buys it.

If we are honest the .243 WSM IS a very minority cartridge and border line on already becoming extinct. Despite the best attempts by the Gun Whores hyping it up it's withering away. As Muir pointed out shops in the US cannot almost give them away and where a re-barrel is quite reasonable in cost unlike her ein the UK where one almost needs a mortage to get one done.

As a pure hunting rifle once load development is done barrel life should be a few years unless one is shooting an awful lot but for range use really tis a not starter. As for this:-

the 75gr V-Max would be my choice

I for one would not be using bullets designed for vermin/varmints with thin jackets or deer.

Back