17HMR ammo

W16OEN

Recently bought a 17HMR and need advice on bullet weights. I am aware that this tiny round is susceptible to wind but did not realise to what extent. I am currently using 17gr BT hornady and wondered would there be much of a difference if I was to go to 20gr. Easiest way is to try but initially I thought I would seek your views. Thanks.

personally havent had much problem with them

They have a reputation for being less accurate in some guns and for not expanding quite so well.
they are a heavier jacket so need something more substantial to open them up.

suck em and see.....

Tried the 20g and not a fan. Don't kill well. Have a tendency to 'pencil' through. Give me the ballistic tips any day.

Anyone local can have the open box or two 20g that are sat in my safe!

as apache says they over penetrate found this out shooting rabbits on earth field that had been harrowed for corn puffs of dirt being kicked up some yards away
after passing thru i quickly changed back to ballistic tips also found that 20g dont kill so quickly due to this passing thru the target

they pass straight through rabbits as they were intended for bigger quarry such as coyoties ;)

Strange. I was in my local gunshop the other day and 3x forestry comission boys walked in and purchased £200 of balistic tipped .17 hmr. I bet they have alot of coyotes and other critters to deal with in those woods. They gave them trade discount too so god only knows how many rounds that was!! :stir: :eek:

Strange. I was in my local gunshop the other day and 3x forestry comission boys walked in and purchased £200 of balistic tipped .17 hmr. I bet they have alot of coyotes and other critters to deal with in those woods. They gave them trade discount too so god only knows how many rounds that was!! :stir: :eek:

about 1000 at current prices!!

i meant the twenty grains:doh:
hmr,means hornady magnum rimfire,and considering hornady is american they were made for american animals ie coyotes:p:p

Back