Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Long Term Tikka T3 owners

Long Term Tikka T3 owners

As much as I would like to buy a custom rifle, the impending addition to my family means Im going to be a bit strapped for cash for the next few years so, realistically Im going to be looking at something around the price of a T3. Which I then intend to keep as my only deer rifle, cal is already decided (7mm-08) as is the stainless/synthetic combination. So really I suppose Im just after any final words of encouragement or wisdom from long term Tikka owners....

You'll be lucky to get any words of wisdom from me, but the T3 is a wonderful rifle. I have it in 243, stainless synthetic. It's accurate, robust, and I actually think it looks the part too even though I've always been a wood man. For me it just seems to work, much better than some of my friends' assorted rifles work for them... or at least that's how it appears

I have two Tikka T3's, .25-06 and .243. both S/S. I have had them from new for around 8 years and crawled through every thing with them. Apart from the odd wipe down and pull through they never needed a thing. I will likely never change these two rifles unless i shoot the barrel out which i doubt very much.

They go forever. I know a Stalker that takes out around 400 beasts a year and has done for the last 12 years all with a tikka . It has the same barrel from new. All hes replaced is a t8 on it because it was shot out. The rife is used ever day out in all weathers. Its still shooting spot on and it will probably go for another 12 years.

I don't own a Tikka, but shot a couple from my English friend. great rifles and he swears by them. My first rifle was a custom 300 Win Mag on a Sako action. Beautifull rifle, but I would always take the T3 for stalking. The Sako was scope included around 4.6 kg. A short barelled 7-08 T3 , 2.7 kg + an A-Tec Cmm 4 ( if you need one ) = 2.9 kg + a decent scope. In total you stay around 3.5 kg, a joy to carry. What I mean is, that you don't get an inferior rifle when you buy a T3.
    To get the same qualities in a custom rifle you pay 3/4 times more and no deer ever feels the diffrence. Good luck.

I've had one since 2004 which is roughly when they were released I think. Its a 22/250 and my main foxing rifle. Same barrel and great accuracy after a shedload of rounds. Mines the wood stocked hunter. My only regret is I didn't get the synthetic model but thats purely personal preference. If I has my time again I would buy one no question. The exchange rate has gone t!ts up since then though.

I love my T3 lite,it suits me and my needs perfectly,doesn't cost the earth, and quite happily carry it all day long.
    Will be looking for a 308 soon, but will keep the .243 for as long as I can.
    Their prices seem to have increased the last year or so, or it could be just me.

You can't go wrong with a T3 really. The only thing I will add, is that I would consider going for a long action calibre since the bolt throw will be the same and you won't have a magazine that's larger than it needs to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrion View Post
    You can't go wrong with a T3 really. The only thing I will add, is that I would consider going for a long action calibre since the bolt throw will be the same and you won't have a magazine that's larger than it needs to be.
    Unless it was an uncommon desirable action, I wouldn't choose the chambering to suit the action length, but that's just my personal preference.

The merits of long vs. short action aren't the most crucial aspect of deer stalking rifles I wouldn't have said.

get one mate and sell me the cooper