Thread: Boar on TV tonight

Boar on TV tonight

I caught the end of Autumn Watch last night and they will be featuring boar in the Forest of Dean tonight. I think it starts at 8pm on BBC2.

If you can manage to put up with Bill Oddie, there's some interesting stuff.

Rob

Re: Boar on TV tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Mac
    I caught the end of Autumn Watch last night and they will be featuring boar in the Forest of Dean tonight. I think it starts at 8pm on BBC2.

If you can manage to put up with Bill Oddie, there's some interesting stuff.

Rob
    Some great footage and even better tomorrow by all accounts. One of the features of the Dean boar is that they seem to breed in an extended season as its not uncommon to see litters of different ages. From the background those shot were probably taken in the Highmeadow Woods not the main forest.

Bill Oddie drives me mad, he's always got to have the last word and tries to upstage the lovely Kate all the time. He's not even that knowledgeable or funny.

They aint from around where we shoot because they definatly aint that friendly towards us..

Boar on tv

Nice to see them breeding well

Apollo I would't be that frienley if you kept shooting at me

Wayne

I knew there was a reason for it

They seem so tame, do we think this is because, as Simon King says they haven't been shot yet or because they are only recently escaped??

Quote Originally Posted by NickJ
    They seem so tame, do we think this is because, as Simon King says they haven't been shot yet or because they are only recently escaped??
    These boar originate from a deliberate release that took place in 2003 in the Highmeadow Woods near Staunton, outlying woods to the main forest. They are currently seperate from the Ross on Wye lot but it will not be long before they join up. They have also got well into the main forest and are also spreading down the Wye Valley on both sides.

I'd heard anecdotally that the FC had shot over 40 in this area last year but the FC deny culling them in this area apart from "the odd nuisance" that endangers the public so I reckon that these are only lightly culled, if at all, at the moment. That may change when the joint policy statement on what to do about them is published later this year.

It was interesting that even here the big bugger that turned up in the infra red camera lens on Thursday's programme was still very nervous and shot off almost immediately.

Boar

Paul K said

I'd heard anecdotally that the FC had shot over 40 in this area last year but the FC deny culling them in this area apart from "the odd nuisance" that endangers the public so I reckon that these are only lightly culled, if at all, at the moment. That may change when the joint policy statement on what to do about them is published later this year.
    Hi Paul
    Is this the same statement they were going to make the end of last year or the same as the one they made about the badgers
    I hope they do make a decision and at least put some protection for them from the plonkers with shotguns and .22's, but I won't hold my breath.

Wayne