Anyone had results yet from 23rd March Jelen DSC1 Course?

stuey-s

Afternoon all,

As per the title really.... its been four weeks since we all sweated our way through the exam and I dont think any of us have heard anything?

I emailed BASC yesterday to find out where they were at and was told this afternoon...

"You should get your results shortly
The papers are in the system and will be processed ASAP
I think you should hear in the next 10 days or so"

Now I am not normally the impatient type but I need to get my certificate (assuming I've passed of course!!) off to Avon and Somerset so they will remove the condition on my FAC that states I can only use my rifle for the DSC1 course and zeroing and familiarisation on military approved ranges.
Assuming they will take the usual 2 months to turn it around I am looking at early July before I can take the rifle out! That will be 5 months since I bought it.

Hey ho... I'm sure it will be worth the wait!!!

Any one else know more than I do on why our results are tkaing so long? Other folks on here seem to know they have passed really soon after they sat their tests?

Churs,

Stu

Stu,

The papers are independently marked and verified before certificates are issued. Easter will have been a delay as well. As to other folks - each assessor and assessment centre will be different.
As to a two month wait - when you get the cert, take it and your FAC in personally and they may do the 'variation' on the spot - it's only a change of wording.

E t R

As per the title really.... its been four weeks since we all sweated our way through the exam and I dont think any of us have heard anything?

Any one else know more than I do on why our results are tkaing so long? Other folks on here seem to know they have passed really soon after they sat their tests?

Churs,

Stu

Hi Stu,

I spoke to BASC on the phone and was told that there were 26 courses/assessments around the country during March and that is why it is taking so long!!!

Papers were with the verifiers so BASC did not have them to even have a sneaky peek........

Fingers crossed that we find out soon.

Best wishes,

Hedders

Last edited:
I have to admit to sweating this one a bit myself. It doesn't make the pacing any less tense to read so many 'Passed today' threads.

I feel for Stu, whilst I can go out with my mentor and have had a few does this season, Stu has yet to use his rifle. Frustrating mate, lets hope we can sort land for a buck as soon as you're sorted. If it is July we'd better practise calling.

Stu

I would be interested to know what condition do Avon & Somerset intend to replace the current "the DSC1 course and zeroing and familiarisation on military approved ranges" with. Being involved with assessment on the safety/shooting module of the Level 1, it never fails to astound me the weird conditions stipulated on some candidates FACs. Hope the results go your way....

Good luck

Oracle

Did you not find out if you had passed on the Day we all found out when I did mine the papers were all marked and the provisional results give when we went back in after the exam.

Hi Oracle,

They intend to remove the zeroing and familiarisation condition allowing me then to shoot approved quarry on land approved by the Chief Constable. My certificate is restricted and will remain restricted after supplying them with my (pass hopefully) certificate for DSC 1.
It all stems from not having a mentor with .308, only .243 or.270 and they stipulated I could not have a larger calibre than my mentor (this matter has been debated at length and they were resolute in their ruling)

Cheers,
Stu

Stu

I would be interested to know what condition do Avon & Somerset intend to replace the current "the DSC1 course and zeroing and familiarisation on military approved ranges" with. Being involved with assessment on the safety/shooting module of the Level 1, it never fails to astound me the weird conditions stipulated on some candidates FACs. Hope the results go your way....

Good luck

Oracle

No such luck I'm afraid.... We know about the ident and the shooting/safety but not the papers.
There seems to be a huge inconsistency in the handling of these tests and the manner in which they are run from what we see on SD. Some folks know before they leave the centre and others have to wait.
Looks like it will be six weeks before we find out whether we have passed in this particular case.

Did you not find out if you had passed on the Day we all found out when I did mine the papers were all marked and the provisional results give when we went back in after the exam.

The level 1 written assessment papers are initially checked/marked by the course presenter. They should then forwarded to course provider such as BASC/BDS and re-checked in order the initial result is correct and can be verified. All is then sent to the awarding body WDMQ who run a final check and award the certificates. This can take time but it saves any red faces if the papers have been marked incorrectly. Also nothing like finding out you have failed after initially being told you had passed. The only module you should be told you have passed immediately is the safety/shooting assessment.

I phoned Jelen today, spoke with Dave he told me that there was 26 courses in March, and that proberly why there is a bit of a delay. Hopefully it won't be to long now Stu, and we all get the result we want.:D

Cheers Bob.

As I have said before assessors cannot and should not tell candidates if they have passed on the day. As mentioned earlier this prevents 'red faces' when it turns out that they have failed when the documents are internally verified and externally verified. There is allot going on during the assessments and the assessors can and do make occasional mistakes. All BASC trainers and assessors are instructed not to give out such confirmations on the day.

Good News,

Passed DSC1 - Certificate arrived in the post this morning!

Certificate dated the 25th March - the day we did the exams.

Good luck to everyone else on the course.

Best wishes to all,

Hedders

Apparently, my pass certificate is there too.

Thanks to Simon and Mike for dragging me through it. Can't wait to get out again now.

I knew the minute I whinged the certificates would turn up!! Murphy's law! :)

Thanks for all the replies chaps... congratulations to all of us who passed!

Thanks to Jelen for all of your hard work in getting us through!

Looking forward to Avon and Somerset cracking on and lifting my conditions so I can finally take the rifle out :)

The only module you should be told you have passed immediately is the safety/shooting assessment.

AFAIK that is also subject to independent assessment. I asked if I could keep my target centre (it was rather good), and told no, it had to be sent back for confirmation.

Perhaps you are thinking of the way that you are allowed to retake the shooting test several times, until you eventually succeed (or run out of ammo) :eek:

We were told our scores on the day, and which questions we had failed.

Those who had definitely failed were offered the opportunity of a retest same day, using a new paper zapped over from DMQ.

I suppose those who just scraped through, on the instructor's markings, might have had reason to be nervous. The rest of us weren't.

AFAIK you will never be told definitely that you have passed on the day, it will be subject to independent confirmation.

This was with BDS.

Perhaps you are thinking of the way that you are allowed to retake the shooting test several times, until you eventually succeed (or run out of ammo) :eek:

We were told our scores on the day, and which questions we had failed.

It wasn't just the shooting test and we weren't told our scores. It is now clear that Peter follwed the guidelines completely and it's a moot point as we all passed. Hooray.

Hi guys,

Really pleased to confirm that once again ALL candidates passed the DSCL1 course - another 100% pass rate! - testament to your commitment and hard work to achieving this important qualification.

My sincere thanks to you all for choosing Jelen to deliver your training, and don't forget to those who booked before New Years Eve, you have a FREE STALK in the 'pump'. Please do get in touch and let me know what date/s you wold like to take your stalking outing.

Finally thank you to our instructor team (Dave, Simon E, Simon G, Dan, Mal, Mark, Sophie) who also worked hard to ensure that everyone was catered for, and the weekend went seamlessly, and not forgetting a special thanks to Karen (Dave's wife) for making a superb venison stew. I'm sure everyone appreciated it.

I hope to see all you guys again in the not too distant future.

Best regards,

Mike.
(Director - Jelen Deer Services) Home | Jelen Deer Services

Back