Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What caused this?

What caused this?

I shot this one a few years ago. When I first saw him (fleetingly) I thought it was a 'murder buck' so I went looking for him a few days later. He is a sort of murder buck but not as we would know one.
    The fella had obviously grown more than just his front points but somehow his main beam had been shorn off just above the branch. I say shorn off, of course it might be frost damage or something else.
    So, any ideas what caused him to end up with such a strange head? Bear in mind this was about four or five of years ago and the winters in Hampshire were not especially severe or with prolonged cold.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture 50047.jpg   Picture 50048.jpg   Picture 50049.jpg   Picture 50050.jpg   Picture 50051.jpg  

Best Regards,
    Adrian.

Jedward. The reason why there are two barrels on a shotgun.

Any parasitic infection? Could have had an impact whilst growing?

Quote Originally Posted by deer man View Post
    Any parasitic infection? Could have had an impact whilst growing?
    No, the deer was perfectly healthy in every respect, no sign of any injury. I had a notion he might not have ducked enough going under a wire fence in a hurry when his antlers were still soft?
    Best Regards,
    Adrian.

Hard to tell from your photos, but in the last one, the pedicles look quite low and sloped which is an indicator that it could be an old animal 'going back' as stated above. That would account for both antlers being similar also. It doesn't appear that you have the teeth to age it by?
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    Hard to tell from your photos, but in the last one, the pedicles look quite low and sloped which is an indicator that it could be an old animal 'going back' as stated above. That would account for both antlers being similar also. It doesn't appear that you have the teeth to age it by?
    MS
    On this occasion I didn't save the teeth but here are a couple more pics of the pedicles.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture 50054.jpg   Picture 50053.jpg   Picture 50052.jpg  
    Best Regards,
    Adrian.

Had a look on my MAC as the phone was a little small! Looks as said to have a fair age but I'm not 100% sure its a head going back. Looks to uniform to me.

What time of year was he shot? The beam looks quite thick so hesitate to suggest they've snapped off in a fight, and both going so symetrically too, but not sure what else it could be. Mechanical damage on fencing is possible I guess.

Thank you for your thoughts so far, it was shot towards the end of May.
    Best Regards,
    Adrian.

Look like he misjudged a fence whilst still in velvet