How long can i leave rabbit for ?

It is best to gut them within a couple of hours at the most. Any longer IMHO you are risking tainting the flavour at the very least!

Best to get them paunched as soon as they are shot.
Not a long job, ..even to do a few dozen.
Just open the belly, hold the rabbit with head and forelegs in one hand and the back legs in the other. A quick shake will expel the guts with little effort, though you may need to break some retained intestinal tissue with your fingers.
Take the pluck out in the morning.
You will have much sweeter cleaner rabbits if handled this way.
Cheers
S.

leave a couple of hours to cool down and then when you gut them you dont get blood on the fur, butchers prefer them clean

i prefer to **** them after a couple of mins (when the body has relaxed)then gut them when they are still warm ,as in my opinion it all comes out a lot easyer ,and there is less chance of puncturing the stomache ,plus its less weight to carry .

i prefer to **** them after a couple of mins (when the body has relaxed)then gut them when they are still warm ,as in my opinion it all comes out a lot easyer ,and there is less chance of puncturing the stomache ,plus its less weight to carry .

+1

Although I hear of some places that like them shipped (continent) guts and all... and that would mean leaving them intact for a day or two minimum :eek:

pi** them and gut them straight away makes it a lot lighter to carry around in your game bag and another bonus is the gutts don't smell no where near as bad lol!

I was asked to leave pluck and kidneys in for the butcher today. apparently they like the stronger taste!
I gut immediately or at least within the hour

Back