Thread: For the readers and book collectors out there...

For the readers and book collectors out there...

All,

I ran across this and thought I should post it here, since it seems relevant. Not sure if it has already been published in the UK (as I know sometimes books cross the pond a little later than their initial publication between our two countries). At any rate, it seems an interesting book that I may have to pick up, if to only add to my collection. As Muir often comments to me, "A good shooter and gunsmith has an extensive library of often arcane and none-to-widely-read books, and they often come in handy when you least expect it. Always look for books with information that may come in handy, buy them, and put them on the shelf for future reference". Or something to that effect... (BTW Muir, I think you still have my "How I became a Crack Shot" book...)

British Cartridge Manufacturers, Loaders & Retailers Including Ironmongers & Gunsmiths

Quote Originally Posted by MarinePMI View Post
    All,

I ran across this and thought I should post it here, since it seems relevant. Not sure if it has already been published in the UK (as I know sometimes books cross the pond a little later than their initial publication between our two countries). At any rate, it seems an interesting book that I may have to pick up, if to only add to my collection. As Muir often comments to me, "A good shooter and gunsmith has an extensive library of often arcane and none-to-widely-read books, and they often come in handy when you least expect it. Always look for books with information that may come in handy, buy them, and put them on the shelf for future reference". Or something to that effect... (BTW Muir, I think you still have my "How I became a Crack Shot" book...)

British Cartridge Manufacturers, Loaders & Retailers Including Ironmongers & Gunsmiths

Yeah I have it. I need to hang on to it a while til I get my old stockmaking text book back! No only kidding. I do have it and have meant to look up his comments about the "famed" Montana professional hunters he found to be drunks, braggarts, and users of rusty and ill-kept equipment. How he would challenge these guys to a shoot at 200 yards and they would insist that the 70 yards they walked out to set the targets at was 200 yards -which explained the "900 yard" shots they so often made. The counter-Quigley, so to speak. When you live in Montana it's good to be armed with such accounts or the Sharps Rifle crowd will drive you nutz.~Muir

Great book store, love to read the Indian wars etc, added it to my favourites bar for reading material, cheers. deerwarden

dw,

Yep, Stackpole Publishing prints a lot of the "obscure" or "out of print" older books that have a limited market as well. Their "Browning & Bluing Firearms" is a good reference book, as is their printing of "Hatcher's Notebook" (a must have for any shooter IMHO; right up there with Ackley's books).