Looking for good secondhand scope and moderator

d5se

I've just bought a very nice .243 Tikka T3 Hunter and am looking for a decent used scope, something like a Leupold VX111 3.5-10x40 and also a moderator, a Wildcat Predator 8 or something similar, threaded 14x1. If anyone knows where there might be a scope or mod for sale I'd be pleased to hear from them. Regards. David.

Last edited:
I have looked in the classified section mate but have found nothing yet that appeals and is within my budget. The reason I posted as I did is that there could be people with suitable items to sell who have not listed them in the classified section and I have already received one pm from such a person.

Thanks to all those who sent me a pm. I have now bought a scope from a member but I'm still looking for a 243 14x1 Wildcat Predator, or similar, moderator in good condition. David.

Hi David
I had one made by jim baker, jim as started making moderators range of calibres and fittings,
I went to see him to test fired one and i must say the Sound reduction on my rifle(22-250) was ace
shine.gif
, i had a T8 on my rifle but this new one offers a lot better sound reduction.
It is made of stainless steel and is a sealed unit consisting of a series of welded baffles forward of the muzzle, with a large rear expansion chamber that sits over the barrel its powder coating on the out side , the powder coating can be done in any colours, jim said i could have a pink one
laugh.gif
but the best part it will not rust out
good.gif
, will not need cleaning
good.gif
and jim said the more i use it the quieter it will get.
shine.gif

Length x Diameter (mm): 280 x 40
Weight (grams): 600gr
Length in front of muzzle: 140mm
Length back over the barrel 140mm
give him a ring
Jim Baker Tel: (Mobile) 07733 043823
http://www.jimbakerbulletsnguns.co.uk

Hello Mark
Many thanks for that. I've phoned Jim Baker and had a long chat with him. I must say his moderators sound very good and he obviously has a vast amount of experience in these matters. I now need to speak to my local RFD to arrange for a mod to be sent to him and for him to enter the details on my certificate. I live too far from Somerset to go and see Jim in person. As a matter of interest I've discovered that a stainless steel and titanium mod is under development at an engineering works in Norfolk but no one there wants to talk to me about it - all very hush hush! I'll post again when I've got the moderator. Kind regards. David.

Before taking the plunge and buying one of Jim Baker's mods I thought I would make one more attempt to contact the man in Norfolk who is manufacturing stainless steel and titanium mods. This time he answered the phone to me and he is prepared to sell me one of his mods at a very reasonable price. He has several on trial with local gamekeepers and stalkers and is getting very good feedback. He is currently altering his tooling and will be in a position to supply me with a mod in about 3/4 weeks time. I'll see what he has to offer before making a final decision and will ask his permission to give his contact details etc in due course. David.

ase mods are superb. well built and always seam to come out on top in the mags and write ups for performance and built. they do cost abit but that one sir slots alot has for sale.

is a great saving over new. they **** all over the wildcat imo

Alan. Thanks for offering me your ASE CQB mod for such a reasonable price. Having at last made contact with the engineer in Norfolk (who works only about 10 miles from my home) I've decided to wait and see what I think of his mods. They have been highly recommended by a local gunsmith and I'm intrigued to see what they're like. I know they're made from stainless steel and titanium and fit partly over the barrel which, I think, might improve balance. They are not strippable but I don't think that matters. The manufacturer reams out the back bush to fit the individual barrel and as he is a RFD he can put the mod on my certificate without involving any third party and the price he has quoted me is only slightly more than the price you are asking for your second hand mod. I don't need this service because my rifle barrel is already screw cut but the engineer is offering to screw cut rifle barrels free of charge as part of the deal when a mod is purchased. All in all I am persuaded to wait and see but I thank you again for your offer. Regards. David.

Sir slots alot - I'm very new on here and am trying to contact you as I'm looking for a mod for my new Browning x bolt 223 threaded 1.14.
I hope you get this, it's my third try!

Hi billybobshoot,I was reading your difficulty getting an answer from sirslotsalot if you did not get an answer try clicking on his name profile and sending a PM message direct.

Hope this will be of assistance.........Bullet chucker.

Back