Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog Travel Sickness

Dog Travel Sickness

Hi All,
    My newly aquired Dog is 18 months old and does not like travelling and starts drooling copuously and then is bilely sick after a short journey approx 5 miles he is let out up at the shoot he then s--ts and then perks up! He sits up front in my landy pickup with my other dog!
    Is there any remedies which I can use so as he can get over this problem?
    Any advice please - Bill

There is an excellent product called 'Cerenia' available from your vet. A few uses can really desensitise the dog.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    There is an excellent product called 'Cerenia' available from your vet. A few uses can really desensitise the dog.
    Thanks for the tip, I need to see the vet for a booster jabs, I will get some! - Bill

Quality ginger bisquits work really well. my GWP has the same problem. Tried the biscuit trick and there was a big improvement.
    Most of my permissions are 2hr driving and I only need to stop once to let him have a run round, also try to feed it early rather than late evening the day before you travel if going any distance.
    Sinbad
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am

Quote Originally Posted by sinbad View Post
    Quality ginger bisquits work really well.
    Sinbad
    +1

just wondering what the significance of ginger biscuits is, can someone enlighten please, i will give it a go tonight as we have a 12month gwp that doesnt travel very well.

I was told about it a long time ago (an old guy who used to work terriers) But I do remember reading an article in the shooting times on travel sickness in dogs and it was a recognised way of preventing it. apparantly its the ginger that does the trick.
    I will do a search on there website and try and find it.
    Sinbad
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am

ginger biccys are one of the many things i have used to try and stop my seasickness ,they did no work ,but tasted ok on the way back up

Quote Originally Posted by lascelles View Post
    Thanks for the tip, I need to see the vet for a booster jabs, I will get some! - Bill
    I get all mine on the National Health!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All my dogs when young used to throw up but grew out of it within a couple of weeks or so.

I tried the ginger biscuits along with a few other old wives remedies and tablets for travel sickness, none of them worked. Started taking the dog for very short (1/2 mile) journey in the car each day to begin with and very slowly extending the distance providing she could handle the distance covered without being sick. Very slow process but is proving to work, managed 12 miles today after many weeks of training.

P.S. also found it helped if you can do the training on an empty stomach (the dogs that is!)