BDS Branch Events What would you like to see in the programme ?

Ronin

Distinguished Member
Canvassing opinion on what members of the BDS would like to see in a branch programme?

The BDS is made up of people from all walks of life; stalkers, photographers, conservationists, landowners, people with a combined interest in Deer, but not neccesarily for the same reasons.

I wonder what members of the forum (you), would like to see organised for your branch programmes?

What would you like to see organised?

What type of events would you attend?

Would you like informal training / experience in anything?

Would you like to visit anything in particualar?

What would be a popular social gathering?

I'd rather this be constructive, if possible :)

I dont think you can go wrong with kit, a chance to try shiny new stuff and see some kit for yourself and have a natter about pros and cons.

Highwayman Inn BeechPike, Elkstone, GL53 9PH 1930hrs.

Anyone going?

Agenda:
Diseases in deer. (Allan Barell)
Rifle maintenance (Steve Bowers)
Extended diploma in countryside management. (Liam Stokes)
NGO Policy issues. (Tim Weston)

Kings and Sportsman reps will be in attendance.

Hi Jack,

Is it NGO members only, or do you allow interested others to attend?

You should have turned up, no cards were requested.
All were welcome as far as I could tell.
A good run through of the diseases in deer and a useful run through of rifle cleaning by Steve Bowers.
Finished at 2200hrs. Free buffet.
I had a good chat with a vet.

I was extremely miffed to miss out on this NGO evening so there are some suggestions!

I have not had any contact from the Branch BDS secretary since his original introduction/welcome 9 months ago, how often are branch events held?

I joined the BDS for one year they had my £50 or whatever it was and i didnt recieve or here anything from them until my subs were due again one year later needless to say i didnt renew !

Informal training:- Basic & advanced carcase preparation, butchery & cooking, advanced shooting techniques.
Social:- Deer & wine tasting
Other:- Comparative demonstrations of kit such as optics, featuring differant brands and price ranges, particularly after field use for a season. Also comparisons items of clothing & boots, again after use. atbTim

Tim if you get across to the BSRC on sunday there is a SE Branch BDS range day including Driven moose and a .22rf range and a venison BBQ for lunch.

Its a good social a great place to discuss Kit shooting techniques and position etc.

Tim if you get across to the BSRC on sunday there is a SE Branch BDS range day including Driven moose and a .22rf range and a venison BBQ for lunch.

Its a good social a great place to discuss Kit shooting techniques and position etc.
Thanks for letting me know.atb Tim:D

Hi Guys,

I am an active member of BDS South West Scotland, We have a very full programme going from our Range days once a month from April till Oct, Fruits of the Forest at Kilmarnock College which gives us a good social evening with our other halves and some fantastic food to our Best Practice days aimed at those still to do Level 2.

I also give freely of my time to those members doing level 2 in my area who need training or assessing.

Regards Dalkur

There are some really good ideas here, everything from gun maintenance to the gralloch and diseases. everyone would enjoy these, keeps you abreast of new kit and regs etc, the more the better say I

Hi good idea ,if you don't ask you don't get. I would be very interested in doing a reloading day also a dog for deer day too.if I could help in any way I will cheers bazil

To attract a wider spectrum of BDS members bino / spotting scope choices plus camera selection may be a suitable subject - especially if participants were to bring along their kit to play with.

Ian

Some interesting ideas,

Most, if not all, stalking related, ideas outside the "box", which would appeal to the broader spectrum of members ?

I posted the question as I wondered what events would appeal across the country - there is a common theme of rifle practice shoots - we all like to practice.

Events, which allow tradesmen to show their wares are also popular, optics manufacturers, clothing, and rifle displays are always interesting.

Best practice days, butchery displays, "dogs for deer", all interesting events..

But what would appeal to the non stalking member?

There always appears to be a "hard core" of people who attend branch events - whatever they are, but few new faces ever appear.

Ideas?

How about events focused more on finding deer, signs, what to look for, casts of the different species footprints, how to determine deer hair from other animal hair, what to look for on fences/trees/bushes? This could even be turned into a deer hunt for younger people - finding footprints and making casts of them, finding deer hair, finding wallows, finding fraying, actually spotting a deer - all could be given points and whoever finds the most signs of deer wins a small prize? Just an idea.

I stopped going to the Yorkshire meetings after they kept cancelling the advertised events on the day, or I got news of the event the day after.
same as a range day, I drove for an hour and sat there to be told afterwards it had been cancelled.

How about events focused more on finding deer, signs, what to look for, casts of the different species footprints, how to determine deer hair from other animal hair, what to look for on fences/trees/bushes? This could even be turned into a deer hunt for younger people - finding footprints and making casts of them, finding deer hair, finding wallows, finding fraying, actually spotting a deer - all could be given points and whoever finds the most signs of deer wins a small prize? Just an idea.

Have to agree with previous poster, this is an excellent idea.

I stopped going to the Yorkshire meetings after they kept cancelling the advertised events on the day, or I got news of the event the day after.
same as a range day, I drove for an hour and sat there to be told afterwards it had been cancelled.

Rather unfair comments - the branch must cancel if they are let down by the speaker or the range management, all really beyond the control of the branch committee. Most of these occurrences happened some time ago, the new committee are really trying to overcome such outdated views and predujices with only one last minute let down in the last two years which was beyond their control. Short time notifications are almost impossible with only half of over 400 members supplying e mail addresses, how else can we expect volunteers to contact so many who were probably not attending anyway!

I racked my brain over this thread as I'm a BDS midland member on so far only had a visit to attingham park. This was good but since that I have missed a museum visit of heads and antlers. I only found out after looking on BDS website. I think all the ideas expressed are on the money. I would like to be e mailed of any events coming up as I don't always check the website.

Trophy preparation
Tracking and deer finding
Dog tracking and searching
Range days
Photograph days
Drawing and art days
Kit and testing days
Best practise
Cooking and tasting
Social fund raising nights
Estate visits
Butchery courses