Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will you shoot Roe Doe's through March ?

Will you shoot Roe Doe's through March ?

The season was extended for a month last year to "give deer managers a chance to achieve their cull figures". Whilst I never agreed with the concept in the first place, on the basis that deer managers should get up earlier and work longer to achieve their cull figures, why is it that recreational stalkers take this "extended season" to go out and just shoot pregnant females?

The season is long enough and should have been left alone - I for one will not be shooting after the end of February because gralloching a Roe Doe with a fairly well formed foetus doesn't turn me on at all. Also, as I am not under any pressure from the land owner, why should I?

I'd be interested to hear what other SD members think.

I am finished on my Roe doe cull on both areas I have in Sussex and in Dorset.

I have no intention of taking doe's after the end of this month, I see little point in extending the season. If you have land that you manage you should be able to achieve your cull within the season, if you have consistantly not managed to achieve the cull, you either need help or you have too much ground to manage.

Shooting heavily pregnant deer is morally and ethically wrong in my book. And I have no doubt some bright spark will now say "well better to shoot the hind/doe now than leave a motherless fawn/calf". True but then if you had carried out the cull properly in the first place you would not need to extend your cull into March.

Shooting pregnant does is distasteful, but the size of the foetus is almost irrrelevant. Dead is dead. I have no problems with the morals of it, but still don't like doing it.

Our doe cull was complete three weeks ago anyway, and we always try to get it done by the end of January if possible . Ok, that doesn't work all the time but we've never failed to complete before the end of Feb. It helps that our shoot is cooperative and happy that stalking goes on outside shoot days.

I worry that the March extension will simply give people an excuse to be lazy and take longer over it.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Shooting heavily pregnant deer is morally and ethically wrong in my book
    Whilst I respect this attitude, when it comes to muntjac we are advised to shoot exactly that, heavily pregnant does. Will someone please explain the ethical/moral argument as to why is it wrong for roe but fine for muntjac?

willie_gunn

In Scotland the doe season has always been up untill the end of March.
    I have always tried to get finnished by end of Feb, just so I can get some time off!
    I have however shot females to the end of March, it's a personal thing as to whether you do it or not, personally it doesn't bother me.
    It's not the case of "not getting on with it", take this Feb, you lost 3wks stalking to snow, in the past I've had 6wks of not getting on the hill or wood due to snow, it ain't always as simple aas not getting of your a****.
    It's also down to economics, if your income is derived from venison then the longer you can shoot the better, I know for many this will be seen as an abhorrent statement , but it is true.
    In Scotland March is the most effective time to kill does and if need be Sika and Red also, a lot of the time effectiveness is the main driver not sport.

We have been shooting pregnent does for nearly a month now, so was the old season to long aswell and if we have to shoot for another few weeks does that make us lazy or less of a stalker than you people who have finnished three weeks ago???

Everyone has different plans and time to stalk, aswell as experiance so for some of us it does help, as far as muntjac we shoot them pregnent aswell, killing deer when they are in the womb or in the fields is an emotive subject because of their cute looks but it does have to be done...eddie

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn
    Shooting heavily pregnant deer is morally and ethically wrong in my book
    Whilst I respect this attitude, when it comes to muntjac we are advised to shoot exactly that, heavily pregnant does. Will someone please explain the ethical/moral argument as to why is it wrong for roe but fine for muntjac?

willie_gunn
    Willie,

I don't think that shooting a pregnant muntjac is any more ethical on the face of it. However because of the erratic breeding season it is almost impossible to predict the state of the does and it is probably preferable to shoot a pregnant doe than leave a young fawn without a mother.

No, but we don't have huge deer numbers. If there was a serious population problem I would. I view Does as carrying next years shooting.

No, but we don't have huge deer numbers. If there was a serious population problem I would. I view Does as carrying next years shooting.