Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Venison Dealers License Approved (now with pics)

Venison Dealers License Approved (now with pics)

The Environmental Health came out to inspect my garage this morning, and the good news is I have been given the all clear for my VDL

from outside (it's windy)

all enclosed

curtain open to get in

the roof

to show the lid can come off

boxes left to right for bones, for freezer, for cuts

shelving

tools

For the garage area

1. Bought plastic shelving units from B&Q 20 each
    2. Put everything on the shelves in plastic recycling boxes (from council)
    3. Put IKEA shower curtains over the front of each unit to prevent splashes 0.87 each

For the sink area

1. Off cut piece of worktop screwed to wall - free
    2. Small sink from IKEA 14
    3. 5l over sink water heater 65
    4. misc bits of pipe etc 15

For the garage walls

1. IKEA shower curtains along length of wall and behind sink for splash back. 0.87 each
    2. Nylon Line and eyelet screws for attaching shower curtains to wall 4.00 from B&Q

Miscellaneous

1. Rat/mouse Poison and a covered bait box 15 from B&Q
    2. Washable apron 7.00
    3. Saw 5.00 B&Q
    4. Boning Knife 9.00
    5. Chain link glove - present for xmas
    6. Plastic boxes of varying sizes from IKEA for putting cuts of meat into, putting bones and waste into, keeping cleaning products and knifes etc in and most importantly for putting deer in the freezer so each deer can be kept in a different box (that got me extra points) 15.00
    7. Stainless steel table from gumtree 40.00
    8. pulley system from LIDL 3.50
    9. yacht varnish for any wood 5.50
    10. Packet of large S hooks from IKEA about 2.00

The Actual Preparation area

1. wooden frame suspended from ceiling with removable wooden frame roof 15.00
    2. IKEA shower curtains - 1 for the roof (as this has to be removable and cleanable, and 1 for each of the four sides of the frame to hang down to the floor.
    3. linoleum for the floor i stand on - free offcuts from village hall

The curtains are hung on nails and overlap by 2 holes at each of the corners. These can be replaced or cleaned after each butchering session.

Well done david and thanks for the info.

Blimey David, you certainly did that on a budget!
    Just goes to show though that you only need the basics.
    I have them coming out on Friday morning as mine is up for inspection again. I think it comes around every two years.
    One question though - I am registered as a "Food business" and yet you mentioned VDL? I've heard of an Approved Game Handling Establishment (AGHE) but not a VDL? I'm now off to 'Google' it!
    Well done!

VDL

I'm now going to answer my own question above!
    I assume you are North of the border in Scotland David as the DCS best practise explains all about VDL's.
    In England it is Registered Food Business or Approved Game Handling Establishment.
    I'm glad I cleared that up for myself!

David,

Well done, thats sounds like a good result...If you don't mind me asking, but which council do you come under? Also, you don't mention any chiller?

I must I am surprised they allowed you to use a wooden frame, as bare wood is usually frowned on in Larders these days,

Regards,

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Pete E
    David,

Well done, thats sounds like a good result...If you don't mind me asking, but which council do you come under? Also, you don't mention any chiller?

I must I am surprised they allowed you to use a wooden frame, as bare wood is usually frowned on in Larders these days,

Regards,

Peter
    East Lothian Council.

My chiller is currently broken so it is granted on the proviso that i butcher on return to the garage and put straight into a fridge or freezer. I am looking for a chiller though if anyone has one for sale?

I sanded down the wooden frame and painted it with yacht varnish 5.50 from B&Q. This makes ot waterproof and was also put on any bits of wood near to the sink to prevent it soaking in.

GHE

Gents

South of the Border you are either: Jo bloggs who shoots the odd deer & butchers it for his own use, (or gives it to a few friends I guess).

Or you are a GHE which is an approved Game handeling establishment, where you have to get qualified meat inspections form an FSA vet, at the very resonable cost of 47.50 + VAT per hour, I think they have to be in daily assuming you process each day that is.

On the other hand you can be somwhere in between the two-Which is what we are & that is called a Primary Producer-with an EHO approved processing plant at home & just selling deer taken from our own ground & I would guess we now process about 700 a year & these are for retail sale at Farmers Markets or direct to Catering trade & Butchers. Doing it this way we stay under local EHO & dont have all the agro with the FSA & increased costs.

Its a great little business but very labouring-as the buggers dont cut themselves up!

Good luck with the VDL buisness up north of the great wall.

Lee

so where does a FBO fit in all of this, or is this not applicable as you are only handling venison

When I first registered as a FBO I could handle small quantites of large game animals. However, it transpired that a small quantity is less than 300 animals a year!!!
    You should be registered as an FBO even to sell animals to a game dealer I believe. Even then you have to sign a form as a "Trained Hunter" to clear the animal to enter the food chain. The wild game handling guide should give you all the info you need.
    See page 4 here:
    http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pd...uide1oct08.pdf

David
    Just the ticket to start a right home production unit ,Many of us aspire , to doing what you have achieved , well done for getting off your arse and realizing potential .
    Regards
    Trapper