Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Straight Razor

Straight Razor

Just ordered my first straight razor and in the words of Blaster Bates, I'm sh***ing a stick.
    So does any one on here use one, if so what advice would you give to a noob?

If nothing else she wont shave her legs with it

Had an open razor shave done in turkey a few years back and it was fantatic. If a 12 year old lad can do it so can, off I went and bought one and dear god what a mess I made of my face ! Apparently the young lads over there are made to practice shaving foam of balloon until they can do it without it bursting. May be a good way to practice ? Just remember and bring the razor straight down, any side ways movement and you will cut yourself with no problem. Oh and don't use aftershave until you are safe !

Quite fancy having one of these done, but don't have the bottle to do it myself, think i'd leave my face with more perforations than a tetley teabag!

Quote Originally Posted by david1976 View Post
    Quite fancy having one of these done, but don't have the bottle to do it myself, think i'd leave my face with more perforations than a tetley teabag!
    I think I've got one or two of grandad's still lying about, I'll give them a strop and have a go if you like, no charge .

We all came from the Gorbals but I'm pretty sure he just kept them for shaving.
    Last edited by private fraser; 25-04-2012 at 20:58.

I use one but just go careful..............

Quote Originally Posted by dave 67 View Post

Just ordered my first straight razor and in the words of Blaster Bates, I'm sh***ing a stick.
    So does any one on here use one, if so what advice would you give to a noob?

If nothing else she wont shave her legs with it
    true straight blade or shavette

One piece of advice I was given by a barber when first using a straight razor is to close your eyes!
    You will faff about wondering about angles etc but if you close your eyes you naturally get the right angle!.
    I tried it & it works!
    Take your time & be careful!

Agreed - take your time. Until you get used to it, don't try and shave your whole face. Better to keep another razor handy to tidy up hard bits than to hack away at yourself. In time, it will become natural and you'll wonder what all the fuss was about!

Also, like any other blade - keep it sharp.

I've been using a straight razor for nearly ten years now. It's the best shave you can get and cheap...I still wince when I see the price if disposable razor heads. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by libensvolenspotens View Post
    One piece of advice I was given by a barber when first using a straight razor is to close your eyes!
    You will faff about wondering about angles etc but if you close your eyes you naturally get the right angle!.
    I tried it & it works!
    Take your time & be careful!
    i was told the opposite
    get used to the angle you need.but down to personal preferance,you will know if the angle is wrong,to steep and it will scrape,to shallow and it wont cut
    use short smooth strokes and don't look round at what the cats doing in the bathroom

Quote Originally Posted by leadpig View Post
    true straight blade or shavette
    No it will be a true straight blade
    Quote Originally Posted by Quercus View Post
    Agreed - take your time. Until you get used to it, don't try and shave your whole face. Better to keep another razor handy to tidy up hard bits than to hack away at yourself. In time, it will become natural and you'll wonder what all the fuss was about!

Also, like any other blade - keep it sharp.

I've been using a straight razor for nearly ten years now. It's the best shave you can get and cheap...I still wince when I see the price if disposable razor heads. Good luck!
    Thanks for the advice, have been doing a bit of reading and everyone is saying the same as yourself.
    Have to agree with you the price of disposables is ridiculous.