Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making a gun room ?

Making a gun room ?

A friend of mine is thinking about making a "gunroom" under his stairs.
    anyone know what the security spec should be ? i.e wall material- block, sheet metal, wall width, what sort of door, electronic locks, how many locks etc etc
    Thanks

As it seems every licensing office has their ownideas and agenda may i suggest you get the feo out and ask them what they "WANT".

I could tell you what I did to convert a brick/block construction cupboard but what suited Lincs may not suit you people. Sad but there it is.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

I was going to convert an upstairs bedroom the police wanted wire mesh over the roof and floor, iron bars over the window and a steel door and frame brick walls plus an alarm if my memory's correct i never went into anymore details regards spec as it was going to cost a fortune unless your having a house built and can incorperate these designs into the build

Quote Originally Posted by 375 mag View Post
    I was going to convert an upstairs bedroom the police wanted wire mesh over the roof and floor, iron bars over the window and a steel door and frame brick walls plus an alarm if my memory's correct i never went into anymore details regards spec as it was going to cost a fortune unless your having a house built and can incorperate these designs into the build
    Yet if one reads the HO specs safety and being able to get out in case of fire should not be compromised.............................. Tell that to the FEO and see how it take it?

One reason I said speak to them as find out what they expect. You could fork out and convert to the specs laid down in that document and then licensing office refuse to accept it.

Get it in writing from them if possible so you know where you stand and can then decide if it's going to be worth it for you or not.

I often see noted on house plans, GUN ROOM, so much for keeping it secret?

usually an inner room, masonary walls, and a good door.

i think if i am not mistaken you need a steel framed door that can be pinned into the walls ,windows grilled and mesh ceiling which is easier than most people think as you would need a steel box frame with lugs to rawl bolt to the existing walls ,i think ideally you would want an inner room rather than one on an outer wall but most houses dont have this ,but that would be my thaughts for properly securing it and i dont think its in the regs,atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

looking at this myself now.
    I have a perfect room in the centre of the house, it has a basement under it. walled on all sides (8-10" of stone)

perfect now fill it with goodies,atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

one of my mates just has a part of his washing room covered with a wooden framework and some strong wire mesh and a padlock, but the washroom has a lockable door.