songbird predation

trouble

Do you have any photographs of predation of songbirds their eggs or fledglings by corvids , raptors or mamals that can be used to back up scientific research and for educational purposes . Anything like a magpie , sparrowhawk or a cat eating a bird or eggs would be spot on . Thank you very much

No photos but yesterday on the road into a business park a magpie was hammering a blackbird. The latter still very much alive. Don't know if it had been hit by a car, but magpie was definitely trying to finish it off.

How about the one that the RSPB and other organisations would have you believe don't take eggs....

Grau-Squirrel-Biting-Egg.jpg

The-Egg-Bandit-600x488.jpg

Sorry no photos but once shot 4 maggies and the rabbit they were attacking with the 12 bore. Got three of the dratted maggies. One somehow escaped. They had taken the rabbits eyes out whilst it was alive. Horrible birds.

Those dratted magpies also killed a complete litter of grey squirrels in the garden. One day we counter something like 11 magpies in the garden at the same time and we lost quite a few ducklings and chicken chicks to the maggies.. Our garden covered an acre and had loads of trees.

The strange thing is we had a Rookery opposite in the wood and didn't have trouble with them. Luckily we don't see magpies much here.

Suggest you PM ReMington, he has a lovely set of pics of a female sparrowhawk eating its prey on his back yard. Stunning pics i thought.

D

Can't help with pictures, interestingly received some bumf from the Song Bird Trust, whom to be honest I had never heard of, they unlike the RSPB seem to be fully aware of the predation on song birds by domestic cats, corvids and raptors and seem to be campaigning to do something about it.

While walking my dogs yesterday morning i watched 2 magpies pulling out a blackbirds nest in a neighbours hedge,The 2 blackbirds were trying to fight them off but to no avail.I need an air rifle i think.:-|.
Atb John.

Indian Muntjac are omniverous and will eat small mammals as well as birds and eggs!
There is supposedly footage of a warblers nest being filmed 24/7 being raided by a Reeves muntjac and the fledglings eaten!:eek:
I'm sure they have sharp pointy teeth for a good reason!:scared:
MS

The funniest one I heard of is the RSPB filming a hen harriers nest and then one of their prized Eagle Owls came in and killed everything......

Can't help with pictures, interestingly received some bumf from the Song Bird Trust, whom to be honest I had never heard of, they unlike the RSPB seem to be fully aware of the predation on song birds by domestic cats, corvids and raptors and seem to be campaigning to do something about it.
thats what i want the pictures for . Songbird survival trust are trying to raise £100,000 to launch a 2 year research program to prove that corvid control helps songbird numbers . There was a leaflet in the BDS if you would like to become a member or make a donation every little helps chaps . This isnt about gamebirds and will not involve raptors as some reports have stated

Back