Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Here Have Any Experience With Cesky Fousek / Bohemian WP Griffons?

Anyone Here Have Any Experience With Cesky Fousek / Bohemian WP Griffons?

My Good Lady wants to buy a puppy at some stage in the future. She thinks that a Cesky Fousek aka Bohemian Wirehaired Pointing Griffon would be a good choice for me, as per here: Cesky Fousek kennel 'Venaticus Major' - The Cesky Fousek

We've done lots of Googling, but before looking into it much further, I thought it'd be a good idea to ask on here if anyone has any knowledge on the subject. Any help would therefore be most appreciated!

A few notes:

It'd be primarily for foxing and stalking
    It must be cat-tolerant (we have one as a house pet)
    It must not be food-fixated

I don't know for sure, but would imagine that this breed would be less inbred than some. I definitely don't want a dog that could turn out to be a genetic car crash.

Where would you get one, why would you get one and why not get a GWP? They look very similar to a wire but I reckon the gene pool would be tiny and everybody that sees it would automatically assume its a GWP. I am all for being different but I cant see what's different from a GWP?

Quote Originally Posted by deer man View Post
    Where would you get one, why would you get one and why not get a GWP? They look very similar to a wire but I reckon the gene pool would be tiny and everybody that sees it would automatically assume its a GWP. I am all for being different but I cant see what's different from a GWP?
    I'm a GWP fan myself, but as I understand it, the CF's temperament is more conducive to family life, hence why my Good Lady is looking at them. As for the gene pool - I was led to believe the CF's is wider than that for GWPs as other lines were bred into it. Indeed, I seem to recall that one of the big pointer groups refused to recognise it as it wasn't exclusively from one of their closely-guarded lines (the very thing I'm wary of). All this is, however, why I'm asking for any direct experiences people may have.

The one shown jumping into the water could be the twin of my GWP

If its a child friendly non fighting workaholic wire your after try here- BRYANTSCROFT GUNDOGS Rory and Jane Major

When i was looking into this breed i thought they were smaller more compact than your normal GWP but otherwide looked the same and did the same just 3 x the price and weren't available in this country

we have a healthy population in new zealand, the guy who imported them is a close mate, very nice dogs........ but they are not the soft version of the gwp, for a start they are alot bigger than my import drahthaars.

the gene pool is very small world wide , but it is a healthy one.
    don't believe the disney land story on how old the breed is, they are not that old and they are very strong and tough dogs.
    they share the same history and gene pool as the german stichlehaar which was the breed that gave the gwp all it sharpness.
    they have the same love of cats as the gwp and are very wary of strangers but bullet proof around kids.
    good choice for a deer dog as they are less inclined to hunt like a gsp at pace so heel work training is a breeze.

Are your drahthaars from Germany or America? Have they done the VJP etc?

Thanks, Gentlemen!

If its a "Gentler version of the GWP you're after, why not get a HWP?
    Having said that, I personally can't see anything wrong with a GWP providing as with all dogs you are selective when choosing a Pup