Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Road Kill

Road Kill

Been staying up near Loch Ness and I saw a few dead deer on the roads that had been hit by motor vehicles. What are the legalities of harvesting these victims in Scotland? Is it an offence to pick one up an use the meat?

I've been stopped and had my van searched a few times by the Police up there when I've been heading north to catch an early morning ferry. I think they suspected poaching. I guess having a deer carcass on board might take some explaining?

Quote Originally Posted by nabbers View Post
    Been staying up near Loch Ness and I saw a few dead deer on the roads that had been hit by motor vehicles. What are the legalities of harvesting these victims in Scotland? Is it an offence to pick one up an use the meat?

I've been stopped and had my van searched a few times by the Police up there when I've been heading north to catch an early morning ferry. I think they suspected poaching. I guess having a deer carcass on board might take some explaining?
    As far as I understand the law as long as you are not the person who has hit the deer you can take it. But correct me if I'm wrong!!

Cheers

Yes that is the Law in England as far as I know, wondered if anyone has first hand experience in Scotland?

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by redlab View Post
    As far as I understand the law as long as you are not the person who has hit the deer you can take it. But correct me if I'm wrong!!

Cheers
    What law's that then?

Here's a professionals view: http://www.hingstons.co.uk/law/issue7.shtml

Clear as mud then !

Thanks, that's a good website with down to earth advice!

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by glogin View Post
    stopped and van searched?
    Aye! ... right enuff

Quote Originally Posted by Tamus View Post
    What law's that then?

Here's a professionals view: http://www.hingstons.co.uk/law/issue7.shtml
    Key words - found dead at side of the law.
    I was told that while it is unlikely that you would be charged you might under section 17 of the deer Scotland act; which is for unlawful killing, injuring and taking of deer. This would I assume only apply if you hit the animal. Someone might say you deliberately hit the deer..... We all know what world we live in and those people that make these claims but they are around.

Why would you want to eat road-kill ?

You have not had the opportunity to observe the beast alive so you dont know if it was displaying any odd / unusual behaviour that might indicate an illness.
    You also dont know how long it has been dead.
    Although any RTC casualty that has been dispatched by lethal injection by vet should be accompanied by vet or police constable until carcass recovery, this does not always happen

Play safe... just dont even consider eating road kill !

ATB

CVK

Road kill in that area might be monsterous