Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Immobilon/Revivon use in wild deer.

Account Suspended

Immobilon/Revivon use in wild deer.

A couple of questions have arisen on another thread and since I don't know the answers but would like to (and can find no previous post giving the answers). Here they are on a new thread of their own.

How frequently are the pair of drugs Immobilon and Revivon used on wild deer in Scotland?

And.... given that immobilon is so toxic that meat from a beast treated with it must be withdrawn from human consumption for, I believe, a minimum of 28 days (though I stand to be corrected on this also)

How, if it's even possible at all, would a Stalker be able to distinguish/ascertain if a wild deer (when confronted in the "wild") had been treated with this pair of drugs?

My own suspicion is that it almost never happens and if it ever did the animal in question would require to not be released back into the wild until at least the minimum withdrawal period had passed.

Can anyone advise?

I was under the impression they should NEVER enter the food chain. Normally they are tagged after they have received those drugs.

The carcass MUST be destroyed as it has serious inpications to human health if consumed. at worse case death! im sure as eggy s said the beast must be tagged but ideally humanly dispatched and destroyed. rather than risking it going into the food chain

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    as above,

its a big no no.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

+++++++1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro_guitar View Post
    The carcass MUST be destroyed as it has serious inpications to human health if consumed. at worse case death! im sure as eggy s said the beast must be tagged but ideally humanly dispatched and destroyed. rather than risking it going into the food chain

SD Regular
    To answer the OP:

I agree that it would be extremely rare for Immobilon to be used on wild deer - I think one needs to consider the purpose to arrive at the reality. Do we tranquilise wild deer to innoculate or medicate or de-antler? The only viable route I can see is if a group needed to be moved from one area to another - and I think we all know in which method they would be moved if that were necessary!!

Immobilon costs in the region of 40 per ml - and around 4ml would be needed for a large stag - so not a cheap option - and then there's the Revivon to be considered too. You can all but buy a new beastie for that (quality of bloodline accepted)!

Any animal darted with Immobilon is ear-tagged - with a large 'Do not Eat' and the mobile number of the operator on the tag, so there should be little doubt.

Other posters are right, carcasses that have been contaminated in this way should not enter the human food chain. There is no withdrawal period, unlike some other medecines. Interestingly, the reason for this is that the makers of the drug wouldn't pay for the research to be done to prove whether it was dangerous or not and so they are treated as if they are, albeit that there is not actually any evidence to substantiate whether there is a risk to human health through digestion.

Any takers for a trial scheme?!

Interesting point about about whether an animal should be released back to the wild if it has been darted - don't know of any examples myself.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Account Suspended
    Thanks all, for so emphatically explaining that an animal treated with Immobilon may NOT enter the food chain.

Thanks also for giving a cost basis for making its use on a wild deer improbable to highly unlikely, though I can readily envisage "rescue" scenarios where our SSPCA might contemplate the use of such drugs. Whether or not this has ever happened, or might, I do not know. However, it does pose some interesting "liability" questions to be answered, particularly in the event that any subsequent and unwitting consumer was intoxicated with immobilon.

However, my last question was the one I most wished to see answered.

How, if at all, might a Stalker ascertain/distinguish whether or not a wild deer that may have been treated with immobilon/revivon... would it be tagged, for instance?

Or, would there be any other obvious signs of such treatment?
    Last edited by Tamus; 26-04-2012 at 16:34. Reason: correcting typos

SD Regular
    Sorry Tamus, I thought I'd covered this in the previous post. Any animal darted should be ear-tagged. The ones we use are large yellow triangular with red writing on. I can't think of any sign an animal might exhibit if it weren't tagged.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
    Sorry Tamus, I thought I'd covered this in the previous post. Any animal darted should be ear-tagged. The ones we use are large yellow triangular with red writing on. I can't think of any sign an animal might exhibit if it weren't tagged.
    Thanks for that. I rather suspected as much.

I can't think of an instance where you would need to dart a wild deer and then release it. Tamus - there would be no signs - other than an ear tag, but I cannot think where you would find a darted wild deer.

Eric, the cost for the trail work is in the millions!