Thread: Deer Rifle Caliber Variation - Advice Required.

Deer Rifle Caliber Variation - Advice Required.

I am planning to put in a variation for a deer legal caliber rifle and wanted to know what restrictions I might have put on my FAC for that caliber. I have had a 222 for nearly 3 years for use on land approved for that caliber. I intend using it for paid stalking and was wondering what restrictions the FLO might impose and what problems might arise as a result of them. What arguments can be put forward to ensure that the restrictions are kept to a minimum?

A friend has suggested that I apply for a .308, as it is more versatile in case I wanted to use it in Scotland on Red deer. Would this be another issue if this was put down as the caliber required?

Thanks in advance.

book a red or fallow stalk (bigger species) and then apply for a 308 that will be GOOD REASON , remember you NEED not want a 308 wink wink

ATB

Dave

Need is not required, good reason will do nicely. If shooting deer on FC land you will have good reason to have a MINIMUM of 0.270" as that is what is required for FC stalking,(at least it was when I last looked, feel free to correct me) and shooting at night. 0.308" will be a good choice (I have two) as it will allow plenty of choice in both rifle and ammunition.

When I applied to the MET I sent them a good few pictures of deer I've shot on paid stalks and with mates with the calibre I was applying for (.300 wm). Booking a trip will certainly help and going out with a mate and getting a few (if at all possible) as well as photos of gralloching/preparing the beast. With all of the above I got a closed certificate to shoot on land deemed suitable by the chief of police and no other conditions (mentors, dsc1 etc). Depends on the area though

Best of luck mate

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by pilgrimmick View Post
    Need is not required, good reason will do nicely. If shooting deer on FC land you will have good reason to have a MINIMUM of 0.270" as that is what is required for FC stalking,(at least it was when I last looked, feel free to correct me) and shooting at night. 0.308" will be a good choice (I have two) as it will allow plenty of choice in both rifle and ammunition.
    Absolutely correct.
    Please everybody stop using the word "need". This is just what the police would like. All of us who are committed to our shooting can show "good reason" for our firearms. If we had to show "need" the police might well tell us to use club/estate rifles instead! atb Tim

Quote Originally Posted by pilgrimmick View Post

6.5x55 is the minimum for FC stalking as far as I am aware