Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Newly discovered deer finder

Newly discovered deer finder

I had an Estate guest out last night who wounded a buck. I happened to have with us on the back seat of the truck the latest pretty recent addition to my pack. See attached (I hope) photo.

The poor thing raced off into the deep cover of our main wood and we couldn't find it. Gut-shot and no paint to follow. So, in a bit of a panic and working on the theory that any dog's better than no dog at all, I got Flint out of the truck.

He's not trained to this but he found it OK. Oh, Hell, did he ever !

So, if you're near to me (Perthshire) and stuck for finding a wounded animal you could give me a call if you want. Numbers etc.. are on my website on the signature link below.

No fees of course. Happy enough to help out in an emergency.

Two words of caution though :-

1. he's totally untrained for this sort of work and I only found out last night by pure chance that he could do it and, as it's the first time he's done it for me so far, I can't guarantee anything. So if you know someone with a more suitable breed of woofie who'll let simply let you know when it's found then maybe best to call them first
    and
    2. If it's still alive when Flint finds it then it won't be for long ! He's deerhound x greyhound back to greyhound and a big fast powerful boy, and he's clearly very much of the opinion that he can finish it off much better than I can and I doubt very much because of his breeding that I'll ever convince him differently.

Don't any of you misunderstand me one small bit - I'm violently against the idea of killer-type dogs like luchers on deer - even wounded ones, but I think in extremis it's better than leaving an injured thing out there to die slowly. Obviously I've got Flint for entirely different purposes but I was glad of his help last night as I'm fairly sure we'd not have found it without him.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flint 2 (a).jpg  
    Will Gallant
    Wildform Taxidermy

Nice one Will, does kinda prove "any dog is better than no dog"
    I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, but it was only some fecker with a torch bringing me more work

When you get your cocker next year you may be able to do the same thing but in a more compact design. It wont be able to do much or any damage either.

Out of interest, did the foreign guest believe it was a good shot just because "eee it im"?
    Last edited by Deer Assassin; 27-04-2012 at 12:13.
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion... it's just that yours is stupid!!

Quote Originally Posted by Will Gallant View Post
    I had an Estate guest out last night who wounded a buck. I happened to have with us on the back seat of the truck the latest pretty recent addition to my pack. See attached (I hope) photo.

The poor thing raced off into the deep cover of our main wood and we couldn't find it. Gut-shot and no paint to follow. So, in a bit of a panic and working on the theory that any dog's better than no dog at all, I got Flint out of the truck.

He's not trained to this but he found it OK. Oh, Hell, did he ever !

So, if you're near to me (Perthshire) and stuck for finding a wounded animal you could give me a call if you want. Numbers etc.. are on my website on the signature link below.

No fees of course. Happy enough to help out in an emergency.

Two words of caution though :-

1. he's totally untrained for this sort of work and I only found out last night by pure chance that he could do it and, as it's the first time he's done it for me so far, I can't guarantee anything. So if you know someone with a more suitable breed of woofie who'll let simply let you know when it's found then maybe best to call them first
    and
    2. If it's still alive when Flint finds it then it won't be for long ! He's deerhound x greyhound back to greyhound and a big fast powerful boy, and he's clearly very much of the opinion that he can finish it off much better than I can and I doubt very much because of his breeding that I'll ever convince him differently.

Don't any of you misunderstand me one small bit - I'm violently against the idea of killer-type dogs like luchers on deer - even wounded ones, but I think in extremis it's better than leaving an injured thing out there to die slowly. Obviously I've got Flint for entirely different purposes but I was glad of his help last night as I'm fairly sure we'd not have found it without him.
    2. If it's still alive when Flint finds it then it won't be for long !

That statement could land you in hot water!

regards
    Now

So having a "trained" dog that wil despatch is OK yet having one with the natural instinct to do so it no OK.

My god it really shows what a pathetic namby PC State we have become.

I suppose one has the correct "certificate" and one does not ..................................... sheesh.

Makes a mockery of other posts on here ie you must have fully trained deer dog all the certificates, done all the courses etc etc, well done on finding your deer

Quote Originally Posted by news of the world View Post
    2. If it's still alive when Flint finds it then it won't be for long !

That statement could land you in hot water!

regards
    Now
    I really hope not , people are so wet nowadays .

You could of course pass him off as a Scottish Deerhound. ( sight hound ) as they go back to the times of the Picts ( even appearing on Pictish symbol stones ) and were very much sought after throughout the Roman Empire as hunting dogs. They are a recognised breed similar to Irish Wolf Hound but lighter Mine of useless info.:-) am I.

Hmmm, I wonder if my wife's Llasa Apso would be any good?

"It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

About 7 years ago I had a cocker as a deer dog and he was very good, one day stalking in the west of Scotland I shot a Roe doe very badly and it ran into a small block of sitka about 2 acres.
    Being on my quad I had no dog with me so I had a mile drive back to camp to get the dog.
    So after fetching the car complete with cocker back to the impact site about half an hour had passed.
    I put the cocker on the blood trail and off he went, after about 200 yds he lost the track and could not find it again we looked and looked and looked and though about giving up.
    So on the way back to the car thinking what I should do and not coming up with anything sensable I though I would try something not very sensable.
    Sitting in the back of the car I had a 9 months old lab, now to say this lab is not very bright would be an understatement but he is the ( nicest ) lab I have ever owned so I get him out of the back of the car walk him to the start of the blood trail and told him to get on.
    Now normally in this situation he just stands and looks at you, BUT not this time, he just put his nose on the floor and away he went at walking pace like a bloodhound round in a big 300yd circle and when I caught him up he was sitting by the very dead deer licking it.
    So an instant deer dog from nowhere.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY