Ferret

pendle

One of my ferrets has paralysis in the back legs it was ok yesterday.its brother went the same way last year any ideas

Kevin

no signs of any discharge from nose or gunge around the eyes or sores around the mouth. looked on the above site that piece of string is long

One of my ferrets has paralysis in the back legs it was ok yesterday.its brother went the same way last year any ideas

Kevin
Taken from google.
While there are MANY causes for hind-end weakness, some of the most common include neurological disorders, insulinoma, anemia, cardiovascular, adrenal disease, Aleutian Disease, and conditions such as kidney or liver disease which build up toxins in the body. These are not the only causes, simply the most frequently seen. The annorexia and lethargy are also likely associated to the underlying problem.

I`ve heard of this quite a bit in my 23 yrs of keeping ferrets, unfortunately it`s not usually a happy ending. Sorry.

If it was mine I would probably consider puting it down.

Ferrets are a very simple machine(so to speak)they have the most simple digestive system it is almost a straight through tube,thats why they need a high protein diet,along with this they are also an animal that is prone to more maladies than any other.I have been very lucky with ferts and having kept them for the last 40yrs and have never had this particular disease that ended fatally,they have all recovered(maybe I'm just lucky,but for those that know me know better....don't you Basil)all I will say is good luck with it,but don't let it go on too long and cause unnecessary suffering.Just had a Jill die of natural causes and she was at least 9 yrs old and I took her on from a young lad that had her before me.....RIP a great worker.

Martin

Hypervitaminosis A is caused by too much liver in the diet This leads to a build up of Vitamin A.In my experience this leads to the joining up of the vertebrae ( ankylosis ) by new bone and pressure on the spinal nerves and also where they leave the spine.The ferret looses mobility in the back initially leading to progressive back leg paralysis. You can check this by testing the placing reflex in the hind legs.Hold the ferret ' dangling ' in your hand and bring its back legs just above the paws below the surface of the table edge and then move so that the front of the legs just touch it. A normal reflex is when the animal lifts the legs and places them on the table. You may have to repeat this a few times not too quickly. Loss of his reflex is bad news.

Back