Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: new gun - tight chamber??

new gun - tight chamber??

I have got myself a new .22/250 semi custom. I am very pleased with it. However I am struggling to resize brass from my old gun to fit the new one. The new gun accepts new brass perfectly. However resized brass from my old rifle either wont allow the bolt to close or the bolt is very tight to close. Equally the occasional round when fired results in the bolt being tight to open.

There are no pressure signs on the fired ones and the resized ones are full length resized.

Is this normal?

Also, are some dies tighter than others? I have about 150 cases I cant use at the moment and wonder how I can go about getting them back to an "as new" size??

You may find that youre new chambered rifle has a Minimum SAAMI spec chamber,, the fired brass from the old rifle despite being re-sized is not chambering because I suspect the shoulder requires bumping back a little.

If you have set up your FL die correctly you should be 1/8th turn off touching the top of the case holder in the press.

This should allow you to ful length size the old brass and allow the bolt to close, however, not all dies are the same (exactly the same),

If the dies are set up correctly and still wont allow resized brass to chamber, I would ask someone with a lathe to take .040" off the base of the FL sizer die - this extra ajustment will now allow you (WITH CARE) to bump the shoulder of the fired brass just enough to close the bolt.

I do not mean screw down the FL die another .040" by the way, I mean tuen down in 1/8th turn increments beyone the minimum now untill a sized case allows the bolt to close snugly....

Quote Originally Posted by shootingduckdog View Post
    I The new gun accepts new brass perfectly. However resized brass from my old rifle either wont allow the bolt to close or the bolt is very tight to close. Equally the occasional round when fired results in the bolt being tight to open....
    In my gallery, there is a new to me 243 AI. The advice from Russell Gall who built it was, get new brass and dump any old brass that you have, and that's the approach I am taking. Have fun with the new rifle. Regards JCS

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    In my gallery, there is a new to me 243 AI. The advice from Russell Gall who built it was, get new brass and dump any old brass that you have, and that's the approach I am taking. Have fun with the new rifle. Regards JCS

That would have been my initial advice, but I felt the urge to type!!

surely you must be able to resize the same spec as factory?
    seems a waste to just toss it?

The brass was bought new but the rifle delayed so I used some. It has only been fired once and I would be gutted to have to chuck stuff out only once fired.

i would just start over with new brass also. when i had my fireball built that was min sammi spec and even new brass had to be full length sized before it would fit the chamber snug.

my point is that full length sizing ISNT producing a case that fits

As I see it you have two options:-

1) Go back tot eh builder and have him make a dies using the same reamer so the chamber and die match.

2) Take the rifle back and have the builder fix the problem so that normal dies work with the chamber.

Yes I believe you can get special small base dies and tight chamber dies but the tight chamber dies are usual hand ones for the bench rest crowd. They do not use a press or if they do it's a simple but expensive affair.

Quote Originally Posted by shootingduckdog View Post
    my point is that full length sizing ISNT producing a case that fits
    Youre not resizing enough.....