Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: where to take shot venison to?

where to take shot venison to?

Afternoon.

I have approached local butchers with my dsc1 and firearms cert to see if they could take any deer shot by myself and butcher it down into burgers etc, for a price of course. I am struggling to get local buchers to take it in though. i dont have enough room for a free standing chiller to store it at home. i am wondering what you guys do with it? i dont want to shot anything until i can guarantee i have somewhere for it or it would be pointless.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated

Although some people tend to prefer to hang their carcasses in a chiller for a few days to let them settle, it's not essential. Why not have a go at butchering it yourself at home and freezing what you don't need straight away? There's plenty examples of this being done on youtube etc.
    OK, it may not be your first option, but any venison you've harvested yourself will taste great!

get yourself onto youtube and follow the vids on butchering deer you wont look back get a mincer and you will get the hang of it in no time at all.
    even after the first one which might take abit of time but well worth it ,atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Quote Originally Posted by mereside View Post
    get a mincer
    After picking up my roe buck from Mark @ Bunwell and the Mrs saying "where the **** are you going to put that" I have acquired a mincer and bits to make my own sausages... with any luck there'll be another deer or two arriving within the week so it'll be well and truly tested...

i attended a butchery course at bunwell wood shoot, so i am now able to do a pretty decent job of butchering a deer. i use the haunches for roasting, fillets etc for steaks, the rest for mincing/pies and liver for pate. i think im going going to buy one of those under counter freezers from argos and put it under the stairs or something.

a man with a sharp knife and a mincer can get rid of many bodies......

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    a man with a sharp knife and a mincer can get rid of many bodies......

Yup. My wife even let me butcher a deer in the bath once ! minced and frozen, Venison deffinately makes the best chilli

If anyone is having trouble coping with a deer carcass I would be only too happy to assist - I have a commercial mincer and a sausage making machine (I have been a chef all my life and I have butchered whole large animals before but not deer)
    Don't want any money but I would appreciate maybe accompanying you on a stalk or something like that
    Will travel away from Shropshire - adjoining counties) if I have the time
    Does this sound like a good idea or shall I 'get my coat'?
    Edchef

Quote Originally Posted by Edchef View Post
    If anyone is having trouble coping with a deer carcass I would be only too happy to assist - I have a commercial mincer and a sausage making machine (I have been a chef all my life and I have butchered whole large animals before but not deer)
    Don't want any money but I would appreciate maybe accompanying you on a stalk or something like that
    Will travel away from Shropshire - adjoining counties) if I have the time
    Does this sound like a good idea or shall I 'get my coat'?
    Edchef
    Does sound like a good idea, I'm a bit far away and don't have my own ground to stalk either but your offer must be attractive to some of the members on here.

You don't have to hang it for a week or so in it's jacket! Skin it out before rigormortis sets in and cut it into primal joints, then poly bag the lot and stick it in a normal fridge. You can fit the average roe into a carrier bag! The meat will benefit from leaving for a few days but not too long or it will sweat more than if hung in its skin. 4-5 days should be enough for it to mature slightly in poly bags, but if you can vacuum pack it, it will be good for about a month or so!
    MS