Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Success outing ratio

Success outing ratio

Just wondering what is a good outing ratio. For example 50% so in two outings you bag a beast on one. I just wondering as so far since January I've had 12 stalks and only managed 3 kills. I'm getting a bit miffed. Just back from two days or three outings and nearly every deer was out of season. The only roe buck I saw would not provide a safe shot.

Now don't get me wrong I love just been out and I've been known to just lie watching deer.

depends on the ground, deer numbers, time of the year and how carefully you choose your days against the weather but if you hit 50% you're doing well. On a couple of hill grounds for roe I'm about 8/1 but on another mixed species ground I'm 3 days and 2 deer so far this year. If you pick your days you can really take advantage like with warm sunny days after wet spells etc

Quote Originally Posted by Steyer 6.5 View Post
    Just wondering what is a good outing ratio. For example 50% so in two outings you bag a beast on one. I just wondering as so far since January I've had 12 stalks and only managed 3 kills. I'm getting a bit miffed. Just back from two days or three outings and nearly every deer was out of season. The only roe buck I saw would not provide a safe shot.

Now don't get me wrong I love just been out and I've been known to just lie watching deer.
    nothing strange there i always wonder who gives roe a calender.
    Clients Grass a deer about every 2 1/2 -3stalks.(roe) Blank where none seen 1-12. not much change if i'm on my own.
    But out everyday in ALL weathers.
    Last edited by www.yorkshireroestalking.; 27-04-2012 at 16:43.

One place I go I have had 4 deer from 10 stalks then a kind member from this site took me out on his ground and I had 2 Roe bucks in a morning and could of had more if we wanted to.

Looking back on my records for one area, (Jan to March)

3 outings - 6 deer (5 reds, 1 roe)

No blanks

So far this year 5 outings - 16 deer, no blanks.

The weather plays a huge part & you have to pick your days carefully.
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion... it's just that yours is stupid!!

[QUOTE=paul at barony;367149]depends on the ground, deer numbers, time of the year and how carefully you choose your days against the weather

Have to agree with that and do to that i cant remember my last blank

Your not from Belgium are you ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steyer 6.5 View Post

been out for three outings this week all pm stalks shot one munty buck but could have shot at least 4 more munties and saw some nice fallow does ,same results for my stalking buddy 1 buck and lots of fallow does ,dont mind as long as you see a few deer and the other woodland creatures .
    Last edited by norma 308; 28-04-2012 at 10:38.

Last year my first outing was during the last week in May. I bagged three deer in 24 hours. I went out on nine occasions after that and blanked, not seeing a deer on seven of those outings.

This year I've been out three times and shot two. On my third trip yesterday I could've shot a buck but it was still in velvet so I passed on it. I could've maintained a 2012 one for one ratio.
    Best Regards,
    Adrian.

Jedward. The reason why there are two barrels on a shotgun.