Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 89

Thread: Mallard Barn & Jelen. The Way forward?

  1. #1

    Mallard Barn & Jelen. The Way forward?

    Reading both threads like almost 23'000 others I would suggest that readers produce recommendations. That way future unfortunate experiences like these might be avoided.

    1 What questions a (foreign) paying visitor should ask of the organisation(person) that he contracts to buy stalking from?

    2 What information should a progessional or amateur deer manager who sells stalking against payment make available to his potential clients?

  2. #2
    Sadly with any business transaction unless you have a formal contract then there is bound to be someone who is unhappy or who will try and pull a fast one (client or guide). The only solution I can see would be for the guide/agent to produce a contract which sets out the guide's obligations and terms and what is expected from the client - that is what you get on a pheasant day. I suspect that the legal bill to produce such a contract would be not inconsiderable. The only problem I can see would be how would you legislate for all eventualities? For example the client who declines every shot offered or guide who has deer but due to bad luck can't find them. Sadly the growth in popularity of our hobby/sport has turned meant that it has had to become more financially driven and money is invariably the root cause of most problems......

  3. #3
    SD Regular willie_gunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    Posts
    6,995
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by barongcw View Post
    I would suggest that readers produce recommendations. That way future unfortunate experiences like these might be avoided.
    Here are some for starters:

    1. The client should see the details of the cull plan, by species, in order to get an idea of how many deer are shot over the course of the year
    2. The client should see the stalk:shot:kill ratio, by species, in order to get an idea of the success rate per stalk per species
    3. The client should see the complete charge structure - cost per outing, per beast (depending upon sex, antler measurement, etc), the cost per missed/wounded beast, any penalties for shooting the wrong sex/species, and the policy, if any, should no deer be seen/shot.
    4. The policy should also include the cost for preparing heads, using the estate rifle/ammo, etc.
    5. The client should see the stalking methods employed - e.g. Walk and stalk, high seat
    6. The client should see any other T's and C's, e.g. the expected time per outing,reimbursement policy for cancelled/postponed outings, cost for witnessed stalks, etc.

    willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Here are some for starters:

    1. The client should see the details of the cull plan, by species, in order to get an idea of how many deer are shot over the course of the year

    willie_gunn
    Absolutely no way.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Here are some for starters:

    1. The client should see the details of the cull plan, by species, in order to get an idea of how many deer are shot over the course of the year
    2. The client should see the stalk:shot:kill ratio, by species, in order to get an idea of the success rate per stalk per species
    3. The client should see the complete charge structure - cost per outing, per beast (depending upon sex, antler measurement, etc), the cost per missed/wounded beast, any penalties for shooting the wrong sex/species, and the policy, if any, should no deer be seen/shot.
    4. The policy should also include the cost for preparing heads, using the estate rifle/ammo, etc.
    5. The client should see the stalking methods employed - e.g. Walk and stalk, high seat
    6. The client should see any other T's and C's, e.g. the expected time per outing,reimbursement policy for cancelled/postponed outings, cost for witnessed stalks, etc.

    willie_gunn
    Just a thought here, administration of this to the company would possibly put outing fees up, as i have enough to do without all this so would either have to find time or pay someone to update and formulate this. A cost I would look at getting back. As its an extra service we would provide would it be unreasonable for a bussiness to expect it back????
    Any other company would so would we. Seeing how we are against the wall (in some peoples eyes) for charging anything its surley a non starter.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by www.yorkshireroestalking. View Post
    Just a thought here, administration of this to the company would possibly put outing fees up, as i have enough to do without all this so would either have to find time or pay someone to update and formulate this. A cost I would look at getting back. As its an extra service we would provide would it be unreasonable for a bussiness to expect it back????
    Any other company would so would we. Seeing how we are against the wall (in some peoples eyes) for charging anything its surley a non starter.
    Personally I don't see why it should. I have a document that contains 95% of that info. When someone books they get emailed that document, payment of their deposit is confirmation they accept the T&C's. The other 5% of the info it does not contain is none of their business, like cull records etc.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by eggy s View Post
    Personally I don't see why it should. I have a document that contains 95% of that info. When someone books they get emailed that document, payment of their deposit is confirmation they accept the T&C's. The other 5% of the info it does not contain is none of their business, like cull records etc.
    well like i said it was just a thought, thanks for sharing. YDS

  8. #8
    The main thing is being straight down the line with people, in all matters, in writing.

    I see no need to get lawyers involved and no need to submit a business plan to each prospective booking.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by barongcw View Post
    Reading both threads like almost 23'000 others I would suggest that readers produce recommendations. That way future unfortunate experiences like these might be avoided.

    1 What questions a (foreign) paying visitor should ask of the organisation(person) that he contracts to buy stalking from?

    2 What information should a progessional or amateur deer manager who sells stalking against payment make available to his potential clients?
    I agree with what you say. IMO whatever the grievance I think that this is best taken up with the service provider first and perhaps trading standards second if necessary. If I do have a concern about both these threads it is that both posters appear to have joined the site with the purpose of complaining rather than the positive exchange of information to mutual benefit that many of us hope to do. So Bert & Alvaro , perhaps you will both care to enlighten us with the benefit of your more successful stalking experiences.atb Tim

  10. #10
    or do what i did and read lots of storys,and write up and for me john robinson stood out and was quite close, and guess what was not disappointed. what i,m saying is do your research,not hard with forums like this.just my 2 pence worth
    stav
    if your going too be dumb you have too be tough

Similar Threads

  1. A Christmas Message from Mike & Dave from Jelen Deer Services
    By Jelendeer in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 16-12-2012, 14:42
  2. A Bad Experience at Mallard Barn
    By alvaro in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 143
    Last Post: 29-04-2012, 08:00
  3. Technology not always the way forward!
    By CRUMPY in forum Other Shooting & Keepering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-04-2011, 17:14
  4. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 03-02-2011, 18:24

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •