Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Level 1, On line learning

Level 1, On line learning

Does anyone have any experience of the BDS's level 1 distance learning course.

http://www.bds.org.uk/iqs/sid.093139...ng_course.html

Time is a huge issue for me. I am going to find it difficult to find the time required for the days away to complete a DSC1 course. So I am considering doing this and just having a day somewhere to do the asessement.

Whats your thoughts? Has anyone tried this, how did you find it?

Cheers

Stephen

Been there.

I found the site hard to use and wasn't impressed. No benefit over the book which costs a damn site less.

My suggested route was get the book, study it then go for a weekend DSC1 course with Day 1 revision, rifle craft, deer recognition etc with Day 2 assessment.

I'm working through the relevant pages of the manual and doing the weekend next month. I feel I'll be prepared for the assessment.

Dave

Thanks

I have the book, but find it kind of falls down as when you are testing yourself you have to trawl the book to confirm your answers.

Also hoped it would kind of give you examples of the ID slides.

Where are you doing your Weekend?

Stephen

With Chris Dalton at http://www.ayrstalk.co.uk/index.php

He was recommended to me and has been very helpful on the phone.

Dave

DSC1

I did mine online and then assessment.

You dont get given the answers by Lantra either so unless you buy the BDS dvd/cd you have to guess them. If you could be bothered you could call me one evening and I can run you through the answers.

Other than that it is perfectly feasible to do the assessment day. You need to practice your shooting and be clued up on the safety questions etc. Each assessment centre has different ID slides available but they are straightforward

cheers

DSC1

I did mine online and then assessment.

You dont get given the answers by Lantra either so unless you buy the BDS dvd/cd you have to guess them. If you could be bothered you could call me one evening and I can run you through the answers.

Other than that it is perfectly feasible to do the assessment day. You need to practice your shooting and be clued up on the safety questions etc. Each assessment centre has different ID slides available but they are straightforward

cheers

Davie
    I am sure i seen a list of the questions and answers some were free on line. But i think i would go straight for the assessment saves a fortune and the test is just like the DVD

I would say that it is feasible to do it just from the book, assuming you have a bit of experience with your rifle, and can't see what the "on line" bit can add in terms of factual content when compared to the book.

Some of the questions are a bit on the vague side perhaps but the answer with the safety/hygiene ones is almost always the safe bet.

On the course I did the deer ID questions were not difficult and there were always a range of clear identifying features on display - stags always had antlers and sika/fallow hinds always had one standing with it's rear to the camera.

I found that the advantage in the course came mostly from getting an idea of what the "examiners" were expecting from us, especially in the practical safety test where different people might have different views on what they consider safe practise. However, if you are just doing an assessment day then there is bound to be a few minutes for a quick chat as to expectations before the practical. It is also possible that if you know where you are going to take the test you could phone them up a few days in advance for a quick chat, that would give you some perspective on what their pet subjects when it comes to safety, for example, are.

There was also this recent thread with lots of photos for the ID:

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...pic.php?t=4613

I too have been looking at the level 1 online course but have been talked out of it by a friend of mine who suggested reading the book, watching the bds study aid dvds (which i bought from ebay for 20) and accompnying him on a few stalks to learn about rifle safety etc. He then reckons with my common sense i should be more than capable of tackling the course.

buy david srettons book ........ whats not in it aint worth knowing ! think you can get it from bds and basc websites or david strettons web site but ill have to look that up and get back to you on that one !