Little Tracked Vehicle used on the moors

andrewh

Firstly may I apologise for using your forum for a non stalking related enquiry, I do hope you all dont object too much. I am trying to find a small tracked vehicle called a Universal Carrier to buy and restore for my father as he was involved in making these vehicles many many years ago. The were extremely popular with landowners particularly in Scotland and on Grouse moors. I have heard from time to time that some relics still exist on the various properties but other than appealing to your membership I would have no idea how else to try and locate one. My Dad and I would be very grateful for any help in tracking one down. thanks in advance Andrew

hi there, thanks for the reply and interest in my quest. I am hoping this will post a photo here if not I will put a link in.

IMG_0986_2small.jpg

Last edited:
yes indeed, they are also called a Bren Gun Carrier. My Dad was drafted from school into works making these in 1943 before going off to serve in the Far East in the RAF.. Anwyay, he has always wanted to get one and restore it. Although I guess that would be my job now! I know a lot were sold ex MOD for use on the moors, some must still be out there.

1 moor i go to still use something very similar to that, (if u've got a front on photo it might help, does there bonnet look similar to an old 2cv type shape) they call it a snow cat, think ex scandinvina? forces. Amazing the places it goes, esp when the driver is a lunatic;) cracking wee machine,

I prob won't be back up till after the 12th now, unless i'm up giving a hand counting, i could try and get a photo for u

Hi Country Boy, thats very kind of you for responding, but you are referring to a snowmobile which does have a bonnet more like a 2CV! Sadly Father wants a Bren Carrier! Thanks though much appreciated.

I seem to recall that some people called them a "weasel" and did incredible things with them. Alex Mclarty in the Crieff area was renowned for his bravery!!!!

Never mind, it sort of looked a wee bit similar from the side, and i knew they called it a snow cat but had no idea that was it's rite name. I'm never allowed near enough it, it's generally for the guns

I'm pretty sure someone here will be able to help u but if not u could mibee phone the sga offices and possibly ask them to put something in there next mag. The sga are pretty well supported by keepers and won't be that many keepers/stalkers or ghillies not in it, or atleast a nieghbouring estate keeper.

Good luck wi it, sorry couldnae be more help

Jist seen ur photo linked above looks nothing like a snow cat from that view:doh:

Last edited:
Hi Country Boy. You have been of great help and I really appreciate the help. I had not thought of the SGA , but thats a great idea if nothing comes from this post. thanks once again. Andrew

ps, it does look a bit like a snowcat, but I think the snow cat has a closed cab on it I think?

My Dad - who was an arty officer, used Bren Carriers in North Africa when he was fighting Rommel. One day he was leaning out over the front of one looking for land mines as they went when they were hit by an 88. He woke up several days later. As far as he knew all his crew were killed - no-one would ever tell him though. He never got over that. He still loved them as vehicles though.

thanks for the lead Finnbear. I know they are around captivity so to speak, but we really want to find one we can rescue and restore ourselves. Its part of our enjoyement to be honest.

Paddy, thats a sad story. My father in law was in North Africa as well and was oftern using Bren Carriers, I think there were some pretty horendous stories out there. Thanks for the comments. Andrew

I would recommend that you speak to Preston at the Cobbaton Combat Collection, as if there are any to be had, he'll know where they are. http://www.cobbatoncombat.co.uk/

My brother-in-law's father used to be in charge of the Bovington Tank Museum. He was probably the world's leading expert on tank warfare when he retired from the army, and as he was superbly well-connected with his opposite numbers across the globe, he was easily the best man for the job when he took it on. Tanks were his passion, and over time he grew it from a minor collection to one of the best museums of its kind on the planet. At one time he knew where almost every old armoured vehicle going was stashed away, and was responsible for all manner of strange things being recovered from bogs in far away countries. If I get the chance, i will ask him whether he knows of any old carriers rotting away. Sadly, he's not in the best of health these days...:(

Last edited:
Last time I seen one was driven by Andrew Allan, of Callender, plant hire. That was stalking in Argyllshire in 1966 so unless it is sitting in a corner of their yard it has long since gone to the knackers yard, jim

It will be a snowtrac you talking about Countrryboy. Nearly every estate has had one up here and some still use them.It was the one first machines tobe used on the hill before that it was walking or ponies!. My grandfather was the first Keeper to have one in the Britain back in the 60's. He was also the demonstrator for Alex McCarty Of Crieff who was the sole importer.

Snow1.jpg

Last edited:
Ha small world. I know Preston, as you may imagine we all seem to know each other. anyway, I will keep my fingers crossed someone will know of one somewhere. If you can ask your relation if he know of any Paddy that would be great. Years ago, I was told of one on a farm in Wales. I went off searching for it from a very rough set of directions, only to find that the farmer had scrapped it only a few weeks earlier!!! Please keep the ideas coming, they are very much appreciated.

Back