Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7x57 ammo

7x57 ammo

at the moment im using 123gr cone point rws, very good grouping but seem to do more carcase damage than i would like to see if you catch a rib on the way in ! what bullet weight / type do you use and why ??kind regards

Is this for Roe? I use the same bullet which was v accurate with my previous rifle despite having a long throat. I have used the Hornady light magnum with 140gr SST bullet which was good and have also used the federal factory stuff with a fairly standard 140gr soft point. I liked the rapid expansion of the 123gr for roe as they tend to drop on the spot and lived with the damage. I dont think the SST was too damaging but is a couple of years since I last used them.

mainly roe & muntjac but also the odd fallow, they do drop them well but seem to fragment easily !!

Waggy 1, there is no meat on the ribs, and generally speaking if you hit the major leg shoulder bones you will loose most of one or both shoulders. The lighter cone point is travelling pretty quick and while a heavy slow pill may break up less, meat damage is more due to shot placement than small differences in projectile or calibre with mid weight pills in the 6.5, 7 mm, .270 or .308. Broadside behind both shoulders being the best case after a head or neck shot.

Quote Originally Posted by waggy 1 View Post
    at the moment im using 123gr cone point rws, very good grouping but seem to do more carcase damage than i would like to see if you catch a rib on the way in ! what bullet weight / type do you use and why ??kind regards
    I use Nosler 140 gn Partition on roe & fallow, they chrono 2785 fps out of a 22" barrel, no excessive meat damage but as previous posters have said, shot placement is an important factor.

I used to use 120 gn NBT out of a 7x57 , going at just on 3000 fps, which IMO is just too quick. Others may have had better experiences.

Tikka 260, can I ask what powder you are using? Have finally got most of the components I need to load for my new 7x57 inc winchester cases which seem to be essential to get the powder charge needed but interested to know your powder choice. I have some IMR 4350 which seems to get the most mentions on US sites for your sort of velocity.

Hmmm how weird.............................. in my BSA CF2 7x57 I was using originally Brazilian TAP cases from red boxed 172 grain BTHP ammuntion. Powder was Vectan TU5000 and over the chrono the Hornady 139 BTSP was clocking around 2850fps. Later I used the same load in RWS brass acquired from a SD member.

Getting the finally developed load chage of 44.0 grains of TU5000 into the case is not a problem at all.

Of course whilst this load was perfectly safe in my rifle I cannot speak for yours so use normal safe hand loading practice and reduce then work up.

By the way the Vectan leaflet says the 44.0 grain load is the top load for the GIAT 145 grain bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by BWH View Post
    Tikka 260, can I ask what powder you are using? Have finally got most of the components I need to load for my new 7x57 inc winchester cases which seem to be essential to get the powder charge needed but interested to know your powder choice. I have some IMR 4350 which seems to get the most mentions on US sites for your sort of velocity.
    Hi there,

I am using H414, which also comes as a rated powder by many US 7x57 shooters. I got to where I am according to the Nosler #6 book recommendations, as they usually work for me and my rifles.

FYI only, I am using 46.5 gns of H414, Fed GM210 primers, NOrma brass, at 30 thou off the lands. Usual caveats apply, this is all in a chamber reamed to 275 Rigby by Pacific Tool Co. which is , as I am sure you know, to all intents and purposes a 7x57.

I don't pfaff about weighing cases or neck turning, it will shoot fine without that additional hassle for any deer stalking in UK.

BWH, 414 is very close to or is WW760. WW760 is probably the best powder for obtaining good velocity and great accuracy in the 7 x 57 in my experience with a couple of chilean mausers. My 1:8.6 barrels would not shoot the 140s but did work well with 154 gn projectiles. I could get 2650 fps using ww760. 2850 with a 140 should be achievable.

Thank you both for the replies. I have some 414 that I will try when I get the rifle back. I changed from a sako 7x57 that had a long throat to a ruger 77mk11 that I hope will get the higher velocity. Interested Tikka 260 that you got on with the Norma brass. I know it is best quality but the winchester stuff seems to have a greater volume for me?