Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weihrauch .17hmr, with or without sound mod ?

Weihrauch .17hmr, with or without sound mod ?

Hi, im thinking of buying a 17 hmr but without a sound mod as the one I have on offer hath not been a screw cut doth this maketh a big difference to the fear of soon to die Rabbits ??

I always used a mod on my HMR, but the first year I had a .22 hornet it wasn't threaded.
    Did it make a difference to the bunnies, not really no, they still sat and waited for me to shoot another.

Neil.
    Last edited by Hornet 6; 29-04-2012 at 23:55. Reason: spelling

My first hmr wasn't screw cut and I was happy enough with it until I shot a friends fitted with a sak. The difference was day and night. I sent it off the next week to get screw cut. My hmr is mainly used on golf courses so the noise level is important. I guess if your permission isn't too build up then you could do without a mod.

I always used my HMR with a wildcat mod and found that apart from the supersonic crack it was pretty quiet. Them one day out of curiosity I had a shot with the mod off just to see what it was like. They are really noisy little sods unmoderated. I never tried again!

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf View Post
    Hi, im thinking of buying a 17 hmr but without a sound mod as the one I have on offer hath not been a screw cut doth this maketh a big difference to the fear of soon to die Rabbits ??
    If its a new rifle order one that is screw cut. Its a very noisy little cartridge for its size. The rabbits will tolerate the noise for a while but they soon get gun shy just as they do lamp shy. If the rifle you have in mind is second hand make sure you get a top quality threading job done. I have Weihrauch HW60s in .17HMR and .22lr, both factory cut. I remove the mods after each session and the rifles never loose zero. I have heard of rifles that do when the mod is taken on and off, so don't scimp.

Why wouldn't you want a moderator?

Quote Originally Posted by 12borejimbo View Post
    Why wouldn't you want a moderator?
    I use one but hate them, heavy, expensive, rifle looks better without, handles better without etc.
    Why do many people use one, and I include myself here, because they are available mostly, I use one because my shoot is noise sensitive.
    But it's only sensitive because non shooters expect me to use a moderator, on the other hand I use a 12 bore on the same land without a problem.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    I use one but hate them, heavy, expensive, rifle looks better without, handles better without etc.
    Why do many people use one, and I include myself here, because they are available mostly, I use one because my shoot is noise sensitive.
    But it's only sensitive because non shooters expect me to use a moderator, on the other hand I use a 12 bore on the same land without a problem.

Neil.
    I agree when it comes to CFs. I hate a mod on a stalking rifle, ruins the balance of the gun and makes it a pain to carry. Not having a mod on my .308 hasn't stopped me taking one-twos with it. But a lightweight rimfire mod transforms an HMR into the pest rifle it should be. The OP is talking about an HW 60. I've got one of those with a 14" barrel and a SAK. You don't know the mod is there. The power loss of a 14" barrel over a 23" in HMR is something in the order of 50fps at the muzzle. At 100 yds there is no difference worth measuring, and its only beyond 100 yds that the HMR starts to make sense. Buy a shorty and a light mod.

I have a Weihrauch HW60J in .22 and a HW66 (the one with the target style stock) in 17HMR I love them both, I think they are one of the best rimfire rifles you could buy. Yes they are expensive but you get what you pay for, the quality of them speaks for itself. I have had anschutz and I dont think there is any difference in the quality. I use SAKs on both they are so light that they do not affect the balance at all, they are easy to strip and only about 30.

The difference in sound level is huge, I would be without a mod on the rimfires myself!

ATB
    Jonno

Agree with the above. I have the HW66 as well and its a very fine piece of equipment.