Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kennel improvements

Kennel improvements

I just bought a second hand kennel and run for my 2 Labs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6ft steel run_1_large.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	6.3 KB 
ID:	15057
    It has a 6 x 6 run and 4 x 6 kennel and is 5ft at the tallest point.

Access to the kennel is through the run, I'm wondering if this will be a pain to clean and to inspect. Should I install a side door?

I want to make sure they have plenty of clean fresh water, anyone got any neat soloutions involve plumbing some sort of trough that tops itself up?

Do you guys close the hatch on your dogs at night or allow them access to the run?

firstly mind your head when you go in, unless your a midget... i would leave the hatch open for them at night incase either needs a shat or a pee don't want them doing that in the kennel... as for the water, use a stainless steel bowl and fill it with clean fresh water everyday, and you can wash it out regularly...
    personally i would run a course of breeze blocks under the perimeter and across the front of the kennel to get it up in the air so you dont clonk your head, that will soon get on your tits. my mate built a new kennel block and thought he'd be clever and save a few quid and 5' runs, the amount of times he's smashed his head is unbelievable.... and it will keep the timber off the floor and off of the wet from rain/hosing them out. if you do this leave a couple of random gaps between a few of the blocks to allow the water to drain. just my two penneth woth.
    regards, Jez.
    slowly slowly catch a monkey..

Sensible advice! Thanks for that! I've never had a dog soil it's kennel, they seem to have some pride in not doing that! Mind you, my youngest one seems to see it as a fresh tasty snack!

Hiya Nabbers, It looks like a decent kennel system. I have something similar with a hatch which we close at night in the winter especially and even in the summer as my dogs tend to bark at strangers voices (strong guarding instict and very defensive in enclosed spaces). The hatch closed seem to keep them quiet at night which keep the neighbors happy. If your dogs are not bothered about barking and you can leave the hatch open...do it.

Never close the hatch, have industrial hanging blind type thingies keeping the wind out.

One day I want to be as wonderful as my dogs think i am .....

what i meant was if your dog is shut in the kennel at night and its busting for a king richard then it will more than likely lay a cable in there rather than hold it until the morning!
    slowly slowly catch a monkey..

Quote Originally Posted by straightbetweentheeyes View Post
    firstly mind your head when you go in, unless your a midget... i would leave the hatch open for them at night incase either needs a shat or a pee don't want them doing that in the kennel... as for the water, use a stainless steel bowl and fill it with clean fresh water everyday, and you can wash it out regularly...
    personally i would run a course of breeze blocks under the perimeter and across the front of the kennel to get it up in the air so you dont clonk your head, that will soon get on your tits. my mate built a new kennel block and thought he'd be clever and save a few quid and 5' runs, the amount of times he's smashed his head is unbelievable.... and it will keep the timber off the floor and off of the wet from rain/hosing them out. if you do this leave a couple of random gaps between a few of the blocks to allow the water to drain. just my two penneth woth.
    regards, Jez.
    good advice , putting it up on blocks will delay the wood rotting too

This is my kennel, i bought it from this website who have now taken the pictures & put their name on it... it think they were supposed to ask permission to take pics of my kennel & pups. Lol

Anyway, i dont know how clearly you can see it in the picture but i have a plastic flap curtain covering the hatch of the kennel. This lets the dogs come in & out as they please while keeping the wind out & warmth in, a great idea to my mind! No need to close the door at night if you can get your hands on one of these or make one yourself.

The same company also sells water & feed systems for kennels.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grange 2.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	261.2 KB 
ID:	15126Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grange1.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	255.1 KB 
ID:	15127
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion... it's just that yours is stupid!!

Working well shutting them in, there are cows in a field a foot away taking great interest in the dogs, I think they mistake them for calfs sometimes, but dogs are being well behaved, working really well.

My worry with those plastic curtains would be chewing. Think I will shut off some of the height in the box in winter, dead space...

Nice kennel Deer Assasin!

Although its not difficult to lever a way into a kennel, I personally would not put a side door in as it will make security weaker.
    I may be paranoid, but when I built my kennel, I continued the bars inside of the wooden part as well as in the run.
    I leave the hatch open - but make sure they are out of the wind and also put bedding their basket.