Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: roebuck behavior

roebuck behavior

a few years ago i was out stalking and i watched a 6p roebuck run a few paces and stick its antlers into the ground and flick itself over sumersualting,ive have never seen it before or since,is this normal.yes i did shoot it before it broke its neck
    Last edited by swarovski; 29-04-2012 at 16:53.

If true you probably just came accross the Jeb Corliss of the Deer world.... who knows what you would have seen if you had stayed watching!?

Perhaps he was grinding the crack? Jeb corliss style?
    I'm telling Captain - from the Wee'est of men.

i watched it sumersault 8 or 9 times,it was obviously strengthening its neck ready for the rut,thats what i thought anyway

i saw the same kind of thing last week.....it looked nuts, couldnt help but watch it, been told by a couple of people that its "normal" though

i thought it must of been the norm but havent seen it since thats why i thought i would asked the audience

Saw something like that last year while i was sat up a seat , quality is not great as its not in hd

Quote Originally Posted by Double four View Post
    Saw something like that last year while i was sat up a seat , quality is not great as its not in hd
    I've seen roe do stuff like this inbetween fraying. I've never seen them do a full summersault at speed!

It makes you wonder if when shedding from velvet into hard horn they are seriously itchy.
    My understanding is that whilst in velvet the velvet and growing antler has a rich blood supply . . . . it could be the case that when changing into hard horn it is a bit like an itchy scabb. . . . only a theory of course !!!
    Last edited by Cadex; 29-04-2012 at 20:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadex100 View Post
    It makes you wonder if when shedding from velvet into hard horn they are seriously itchy.
    My understanding is that whilst in velvet the velvet and growing antler has a rich blood supply . . . . it could be the case that when changing into hard horn it is a bit like an itchy scabb. . . . only a theory of course !!!
    Im sure the blood supply is cut off, that is why the dead velvet comes off, therefore the deer would have no feeling in its antler, would be like having itchy fingernails....