Thread: Anglian Water

Anglian Water

will be interesting to see if in the week anglian water still say there is a drought,here in Grafham the res is so full that anglian water have been draining water back into the river,,,,hose pipe ban what a load of bollox.

paul
    I have guns because i love shooting, what i hate is red tape and been screwed by a Dishonest Government.

Paul, not necessarily the resevoirs that are the problem. Its the ground water thats the issue and the aquifers. It'll take more than a few weeks of rain to fully re-charge them after two years of very dry weather.

What does it matter having a HPB at the moment, I don't see what all the fuss is about, its not like we need to water the gardens is it? Not having a dig at your post, its just there has been a huge fuss all over the press about this.

I feel this is the press blowing things out of proportion again, we should all try and conserve water as best we can anyway....I'm surprised a ban wasn't brough into force earlier.

Jim

I dont want to start a massive free for all here but...I dont think anyone would dispute the need to re-charge under ground supplies of water, however, to impose a HPB and threaten anyone caught using them with a 1000 fine is complete Bo**ocks...Why?

Well if the water companies around the country were fined and brought to task by the dodgy government for the billions of gallons they p*ss down the drain every year through nationwide leaks in our streets and broken pipe systems, inadequate, tired and wanting water catchment facilities, then perhaps things might be a little different. It would seem that profiteering is far more on the agenda of water companies than actually securing and supplying adequate water to the country, which to my mind is what they are there for!

Quote Originally Posted by Daft Dog View Post
    Paul, not necessarily the resevoirs that are the problem. Its the ground water thats the issue and the aquifers. It'll take more than a few weeks of rain to fully re-charge them after two years of very dry weather.

What does it matter having a HPB at the moment, I don't see what all the fuss is about, its not like we need to water the gardens is it? Not having a dig at your post, its just there has been a huge fuss all over the press about this.

I feel this is the press blowing things out of proportion again, we should all try and conserve water as best we can anyway....I'm surprised a ban wasn't brough into force earlier.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jager SA View Post
    Well if the water companies around the country were fined and brought to task by the dodgy government for the billions of gallons they p*ss down the drain every year through nationwide leaks in our streets and broken pipe systems, inadequate, tired and wanting water catchment facilities, then perhaps things might be a little different. It would seem that profiteering is far more on the agenda of water companies than actually securing and supplying adequate water to the country, which to my mind is what they are there for!
    +1

no i have no probs with a HPB either what gets up my arse is when the water company tells the GP there is a HPB and you will be fined if we catch you yet they have given others free pass to use what ever method they like, supermarket car cleaners can use a hose, blue badge holders can use a hose, if they can use a hose they dont need a badge, garages can use presure washers conected to hoses, it comes down to money again.

if you have plenty and pay the water comps huge amounts you can still do what you want whether with a hose or any other method.

we have over 12000 around Grafham that we farm and i can tell you now just about ever field we have is saturated we have huge puddles on most of them so if they are flodded there must be plenty of water under the surface for it to already go like that, i drove the multi track on the 600 today and it is that soft even the multi was having a strugle.

paul
    I have guns because i love shooting, what i hate is red tape and been screwed by a Dishonest Government.

Ahhh actually mother needs the hose as she cannot carry buckets or watering cans. It does not rain inside the polytunnel and without watering nothing but a few hardy weeds will grow. A single watering can would do exactly what in a 20 foot long polytunnel? The hose connects to a irrigation spray inside the polytunnel. We have had over 6" of rain, I have not checked the depth in the pond liner for the last few days but the fields is starting to flood now. We had hoped to get the man with the digger in to clear and re-instate the dykes that the neighbour has filled in by ploughing right up to the edge.

Before we had the brush flail cut from the dykes fort he last two years the field became a shallow pond as the water could not drain off as the dykes were filled in or clogged. Clearing them has improved it and digging out the remainder should make it better still however the field is so wet there is no way the digger can get on it without causing massive damage a rutting.

We cannot cut the grass as it's too wet, cannot try to control the thistle, docks and Ragwort. Whilst it may not be a real problem for us there are lots of horses around here and it can be a real problem for them so we try to keep it down and not spread to others land. Bit difficult with the wet though.

We have install the new pond liner as the other winter the rats chewed through the fabric liner and burrowed under it wrecking the liner. So Mother noticed a pre formed fibreglass one for sale and we got it. It's smaller than the pond was but she is happy about the size and shape. Got the sand to bed it and since we picked up the liner it has not stopped raining.

Drought indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager SA View Post
    I dont want to start a massive free for all here but...I dont think anyone would dispute the need to re-charge under ground supplies of water, however, to impose a HPB and threaten anyone caught using them with a 1000 fine is complete Bo**ocks...Why?

I seem to remember that one of the reasons given for privatisation of the water companies was the huge amount of money required to repair ageing infrastructure. I also seem to remeber that the newly formed water companies had to increase water rates to pay for the repair of ageing infrastructure.

It seems strange then that having paid so much more for our water that we still have this inadequate infrastructure!

I do think that we should all attempt to prevent waste of water nad that includes the water companies!

Checked the pond liner and it has just over 9" of rain in it...

Driving around Essex today and where there's a stream or river the fields around are under water by a couple of feet! The south and south west are on flood alert, so where are the additional resources (by water companies) to capture the water we all so urgently need???

Quote Originally Posted by Daft Dog View Post
    Paul, not necessarily the resevoirs that are the problem. Its the ground water thats the issue and the aquifers.
    Does this mean I could go out with my hose pipe and tell them I was recharging the aquifers? Maybe that is what the water companies claim they are doing with their leaks?