Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Picking up antlers? (Scotland)

Picking up antlers? (Scotland)

Hi All

What is the law with people picking up antlers in Scotland?

I know nobody owns deer until they are dead, is that the case when the antler is cast. Does it then belong to the landowner?

HH

I think it does, but do not think you will get done if you pick some up. If stopped and asked for it back, just hand it over.

I would be surprised if any landowner would be upset with you picking up cast antlers.

I doubt the law would even cover this

as I understand it when the antler is still atached to the animal it is classed as venison!! not sure of the technicalities once cast though.

Dave

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather Hugger View Post
    Hi All

What is the law with people picking up antlers in Scotland?

I know nobody owns deer until they are dead, is that the case when the antler is cast. Does it then belong to the landowner?

HH
    Why would an antler (cast or otherwise) be any different from any other item one might "pick up"?

If you are on someone else's property why would you think you have the right to pick up and keep anything you see without the owner's permission?

Or do you think there might be "laws" which give you dispensation to do so?

I'm always intrigued to see how people try and justify theft. Mushroom pickers are the most inventive in this department, in my experience and firewood thieves are among the nastiest, after scrappies and poachers.

My suggestion is, ask for the owner's permission... and ask nicely... you might be pleasantly surprised.

Public land is another matter... though many imagine it covers most of Scotland... but it certainly doesn't.

+1 for firewood theives.

Antlers are part of the stalkers perks and can be worth a few 100,s annually, approx 6-7/Kg.
    Climbing into inbye fields to get antlers or lifting them of the green haugh lands at the bottom of a glen where the stags winter would not be appreciated as it is almost certainly where the stalker/shepherd is collecting his.
    Picking up an odd antler while out on the open hill is unlikely to bother anyone but the best and most courteious approach is to ask permission from the people on the ground.

Tamus

Thank you for your constructive views.

HH

You are welcome to come and pick up mine, you will need to be quick though they don't get a chance to hit the ground

Quote Originally Posted by Tamus View Post
    Mushroom pickers are the most inventive in this department, in my experience and firewood thieves are among the nastiest, after scrappies and poachers.

My suggestion is, ask for the owner's permission... and ask nicely... you might be pleasantly surprised.

Public land is another matter... though many imagine it covers most of Scotland... but it certainly doesn't.
    Mushrooms are a funny thing , if they cut them you cant do anything , if they pick them you can do them for tresspass