First ever job interview!!!

DazT

Just had a phone call and i've been invited for a job interview on Thursday!
Its the first job i've applied for and it will be the first job interview i've ever had!

Feeling slightly nervous - to say the least!!!

The closing date was last friday and there are 3 people in for interview including me!

Anyone got any top tips???

Cheers
Daz

PREPARATION !

Do as much research as you can on the company / job you are going for, prior to interview.

Hair cut / suit / clean shave etc etc etc.

Eye contact when speaking to interviewers. Speak slow (well, not fast !) and confident.

Good luck

CVK

You're interviewing them as much as they are you. Have some pertinant questions ready to ask them. If your going to guild the lilly keep it as close as the facts as you can but don't out and out lie. Research the company so you know what they are about. Above all try to relax and apear to be relaxed. Good luck.

Thanks for the info guys!
Its completely different from what i've done before (armed forces) and its a countryside job!
Was given the info on the job vacancy by widows son - cheers Bob!!

Daz

Be yourself, if they dont want YOU its their problem. Far harder to pretend to be a different person than you really are.

+ all that has been said above. Finally, be on time!

all i can say is be confident but not overly and sell yourself to why you are the person for the job , in this day and age alot of people going for jobs but you have to stand out from the rest.
good luck wayne

PREPARATION !

Do as much research as you can on the company / job you are going for, prior to interview.

Hair cut / suit / clean shave etc etc etc.

Eye contact when speaking to interviewers. Speak slow (well, not fast !) and confident.

Good luck

CVK

Plus

1. Take a written list of your questions - Duties, responsible to who, hours etc.

2. Ask when a decision will be made by.

3. After that decision date 'phone in and ask for news. If you are unsuccessful ask for feedback as to why. This is not sour grapes it is constructive for your next interview. Phoning in shows that you follow things up and are keen.

Good luck (and let us know!)

Also, they are going to ask you questions and they will try and test you, so you are likely not to know one or two of the answers. That's not a problem, if you don't know the answer, say so and explain how you would go about finding out.

To an employer, a mindless robot that knows perfectly a limited number of answers is no good. Someone who can think around a problem and make a start on solving it: now that is nouse worth having.

Best of British!

Scrummy

Nice one Daz.

i have had 2 in the last few months (still no job)

so i wish you all the best mate,

regards

bob.

First rule I have always stuck by is never discuss money at an interview, that is to be discussed after they offer you the job!

I always wear a white shirt when going for interviews rather than fancy colour ones, always clean shaven don't bother with aftershave as its distracting and might not be to the interviewees taste.

As much research as possible about their company, news articles are always interesting and sometimes used by companies for questions to see if you have actually done your homework!
List of questions that you want to ask which are relevant to the role you are applying and my last one is always "are there any concerns you have with me and my application and ability to perform this role" as it can give you a little feedback some times and puts them on the spot a little lol!

Always smile, make eye contact and learn forward when answering the questions as it shows you are engaging with the person and have interest.

All the best with the interview :D

Thanks a lot for the tips lads!
I've been reading up on the trusts website and there is a mountain of info to go through.
The vacancy is for 1 person - i must have filled in the application form well enough to be shortlisted.
I'll be spending most of my time now reading and swotting up :)

I'll update the post after i've been to the interview and tell you how i think it went

Cheers
Daz

My late pennys worth. Site would not work?
Remember the job description is phase one.to get an interview you have already passed that bit.
How will you fit in with the existing team? Are you a threat?don't appear over confident, nobody likes a bulls****er. Is a career path available? What else do you bring to the table? If I hire a joiner I know he can cut wood? If you also do IT or plumbing your worth is already increased. Appear willing to fit in without taking over? Remember there is already a boss and chances are he is the other side of the table. Any change you think they should make says he does not know the job. I speak as someone who was twenty years the other side of the desk. I met all types. The ones I hired was the ones I liked. I fired a few as well usually for vehicle abuse or selling me short. If you get a panel concentrate on pleasing the one who does not ask the questions. HR and line manager usually grill you. The director (decision maker) sits back and takes it in. When you leave he then grills that pair to see if they picked up the same vibes. make eye contact but don't make it a challenge. Relax and enjoy.
Dont sell yourself short but don't appear over quallified. Ther is little point in hiring an accountant as a bookkeeper. He is already looking for an upgrade before he starts, jim

Keep the questions you ask pertinent to the role itself and avoid questions like the one I had recently ""what is the companies policy on bullying " !
It may have seemed an intelligent question to the guy that asked me but you can guess what I thought.

Good luck

Thanks a lot for the tips!
Was very surprised to get an interview on the first job application!
The guy that rang me this morning is the boss. He was happy to schedule the interview earlier in the day as i have got a dental appointment at the time he wanted to conduct the interview. Hope i haven't blown it already because of the clash of times :doh:
He was very good about it and said that he definately wanted me in for interview on thursday!

Daz

All the very best for thursday,i hope your not having fillings!,as you might dribble a bit,which would not be good:eek:

Nah no fillings mate, the interview is at 9:30 and the dentist is at 11:50 so should be ok to drool all afternoon if i need to :)

Back