Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pro Guides

Pro Guides

Saw this nice yearling buck this morning real promising six points on his first head still in velvet i will be keeping him for a later date 4 years later or so. But would you pro guides still charge a representative buck fee on the likes of this young fella.

Just a picture

Not easy to say off a poor photo davie. But the fact that they are PRO means they will charge whats agreed off the menu, thats what makes em pro mate.
    The choice is the riflemans not the guide, he tells you, you pull the trigger, you pay. Simples.

Quote Originally Posted by www.yorkshireroestalking. View Post
    Not easy to say off a poor photo davie. But the fact that they are PRO means they will charge whats agreed off the menu, thats what makes em pro mate.
    The choice is the riflemans not the guide, he tells you, you pull the trigger, you pay. Simples.
    Is it that simple though? Is it always the rifles choice?

I have heard of a practice where pros stalk you into a beast & give you the offer of a shot. If you dont take it quickly enough, spook it or decline the shot then the guide will charge you anyway. Their justification is that they presented you with a shootable beast, but the shot was not taken.

Would you decline to take a beast if you were going to have to pay 50-75 anyway?
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion... it's just that yours is stupid!!

So your menu has on it 6 pointers IE bronze, silver and gold, how do you distinguish between them,
    I have two of last years kids one is a half decent 6 point buck wouldnt make a medal of any sort ,but has a cracking head his twin brother is totally naff has antlers of 3" but has body size like his twin .

So how if I was into pro stalking could I put them down on he menu ,would it be the kids menu .

Or is this something that you talk to the client about at the time before he pulls the trigger or when it's laying dead at his feet .

All out of interest John no malaise attached the only client work I do is all prerequisite or a
    AW stalks the deer have to come out no matter who shoots them me or a AW client .

I can only speak for myself.
    The medals are guessed, Slightly high as I can give money back if smaller but cannot ask for more if bigger and now dead.
    Clients tell me at booking that they only want culls etc or are happy to shoot upto rep.
    No charge for no shots.
    Occasionally have charged for a miss depending on circumstances.
    If a big buck walked out and i hadn't time to assess it and said shoot, it went silver ... my loss his gain, i would require only the 6 pointer fee.(max agreed) (only hppened once in 10 years).
    Everyone is emailed the menu and booking is agreement of charges.
    I am more annoyed if foxes are not shot at.

John what i am saying is if i was charging a English client to come up here and shoot a beast would i charge him more for a yearling six pointer just because it has six points instead of for. Just watched your video and very good it was but both bucks to me were small cull crap animals would you charge more for the one with six points as opposed to his brother who only has four. At what time would you tell the client this on booking or when your out stalking. Thinking of doing a bit my self in the future. John you can pm with answer if you like.
    Ps sorry about the picture he was 200 mtr away un a tree and weather was crap this morning Rain lol

No probs Davie. No I actually did a deal with him before he shot as i wanted both beasts. But if not he would have been charged for a x4 pointer (which was a young 5) and a cull price for the other. We get quite alot of bigger youngsters who are full 6 but I never charge more then a cull-/4pointer if not mature. P.S. my charges are the same for everyone including foreigners. 6 point bucks are saved for mature animals easily above the ears.

If he is a yearling you have no guarantee he will stay in the area. With me not being a trophy hunter i would more than likely have shot him wether he was on forestry ground or my private shoot.
    Al

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Pretty much as YDS, except that i don't cull any yearlings that are above the ears. All bucks below the ears are classed as cull. I'm lucky in that there is a high chance in my area that I'll see them again in the future, so I'm happy to let them go off and then come back a few years later. My culling efforts are always concentrated around the does. My cull plans for does always follow:
    1. Always cull as many does as bucks
    2. If doe with 1x buck fawn leave alone
    If doe with 1x buck fawn + 1x doe fawn- cull doe fawn
    If doe with 1x or 2x doe fawns- cull them all
    I have always found that this will then leave a good representation of age ranges throughout the does and have bucks coming on being provided with the best knowledge of the best feeding areas

It seems to work for me and I have very few bucks that I would call "cull"

Quote Originally Posted by teyhan1 View Post
    Pretty much as YDS, except that i don't cull any yearlings that are above the ears. All bucks below the ears are classed as cull. I'm lucky in that there is a high chance in my area that I'll see them again in the future, so I'm happy to let them go off and then come back a few years later. My culling efforts are always concentrated around the does. My cull plans for does always follow:
    1. Always cull as many does as bucks
    2. If doe with 1x buck fawn leave alone
    If doe with 1x buck fawn + 1x doe fawn- cull doe fawn
    If doe with 1x or 2x doe fawns- cull them all
    I have always found that this will then leave a good representation of age ranges throughout the does and have bucks coming on being provided with the best knowledge of the best feeding areas

It seems to work for me and I have very few bucks that I would call "cull"
    same as i do here seeing some good animals about this year regards pete .