Thread: That wasn't in the plan

That wasn't in the plan

I have some new Lapua cases and I want to load 20 of them up with my hunting load. I decided to fireform them before putting the first real load into them, just to keep everything consistent. I have some BTSP Hornady bullets lying about that I don't use and so decided to use them for the fireforming and I also have a "slow" load using RL15 for the non-boat tail version of the Hornady bullets that I use to make up rounds for practise and plinking.

So I didn't even run the cases through a die - I just loaded them up with my "slow" load and shoved the old neglected boat tail 150 grain 308 Hornadays on top. I didn't adjust the seating die at all and just seated them where they ended up, though I did measure to check it was within reasonable limits. I made up a box of 20 of them.

Tonight I shot all 20 at 100 yards, well I guess it was meters these days. The group size for all 20 shots was around 1.5 inches, certainly less than 2 inches and maybe nearer the inch. Most of the spread was horizontal with the vertical spread being probably a half inch.

It just goes to show that when it comes to stalking accuracy at stalking ranges you can spend a lot of time messing about with measuring this and prepping the other thing for very little return on your time and money. It just hurts a little to have this pointed out to me now and again!

Quite true! why does it take so long to find this out for our selves?

I had a very similar experiece when loading for a friend of mine who had just bought a Sako 75 in 308 for his daughter. I put together three batches of ammo, using three different 150g bullets, for a total of 15 shots into a 1" group at 100yds. Minimal effort went into the load preparation. Did it make any difference to my own reloading ? NO. Caorach, will your experience change the way you reload ? You are right of course, we spend much time and money on trying to gain tiny improvements Great isn't it .

Quote Originally Posted by andy View Post
    I Caorach, will your experience change the way you reload ?
    To be honest I don't do much fancy stuff when reloading - just neck size with a Lee Collet, clean out the primer pocket, spin the cases with my Lee trimmer and then shove a primer, powder and bullet in.

Occasionally when the cases get really, really dirty I spin them against some wire wool or Flitz to clean them up.

So, there isn't much that I can practically stop doing or I would probably have stopped it by now. :-)

Ok, fair enough and if it aint broke dont fix it. What I did learn from the experience was to go out and buy myself a Sako 75 .

Quote Originally Posted by andy View Post
    Ok, fair enough and if it aint broke dont fix it. What I did learn from the experience was to go out and buy myself a Sako 75 .
    ...and I bet that wasn't in the plan either when you agreed to develop your friend a load!

what is the calibre/cartridge you are fireforming?

I was just forming them to my chamber, as it must be a little on the large size as case capacity increases significantly after the first firing so want to keep them about the same capacity as the other brass I currently have in the reloading cycle. The cartridge is plain old 308 Win.