Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which 6.5x55 rifle ?

Which 6.5x55 rifle ?

Hello, I've just been granted a slot for a 6.5x55 on my fac. I was wondering what folks opinions are on a good rifle to go for in this cal. Ive shot Blazers in 6.5 before and found them to be quite nice but im not too keen on the whole 'cleaver' bolt and interchangeable barrel package and subsequently high price tag.
    I trained as a cabinet maker before becoming a furniture designer, as such, I happen to have a bit of a liking for wood and am thus not that fond of plastic. Fear not, I appreciate that good tools need to be used and be practical in use, as such im not looking for a stupidly fussy bit of wood on the rifle that I buy either, just a good sound bit of timber.
    The main things that im looking for in my choice of rifle are that its:

Not too heavy
    Second hand
    Wooden stock with cheek piece
    Scandinavian or German made
    Accurate

Id like to get something that will last as doing things properly always tends to be cheaper in the long run.

Kind regards, Olaf

Hi Olaf,

Congratulations on the 6.5x55 slot.

There isn't too much wood on the 6.5x55 I have at the moment, but the one I had when living in Denmark was a Kongsberg M595 (or M393, I'm not 100% sure).

It ticked the boxes for all your requirements.

Mine had a sporter barrel, wich kept the weight down. The wooden stock had a nice finish/grain and it had a very characteristic and functional cheek piece. Kongsberg is Norwegian, but I'm not sure if it's still produced in Norway. Shooting factory Lapua ammo with 160 grain Mega bullets, it was extremely accurate, consistently shooting 1 moa or less from a bench.

I've only been able to find a link showing one previously for sale in a Danish gun shop: http://www.huntershouse.dk/kat408-Ri...erg-M.393.html

I've done a quick search, and the rifle looks like the "lakelander" brand, which is marketed here in the UK (sportsman gun centre). However, looking at the new price of the lakelanders, I'm not sure if the build quality is the same.

Enough of my ramblings about a gun you may have trouble finding in the UK. The reason I'm posting is because it really fits the bill if you want a high quality, good looking stalking rifle with a wooden stock.

Good luck,

Christian

There are some excellent Sako 75 or 85 models around, I have the 85 in 6.5 x 55 in wood and it is just the job, looks good and accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Saugmann View Post
    Hi Olaf,

Congratulations on the 6.5x55 slot.

There isn't too much wood on the 6.5x55 I have at the moment, but the one I had when living in Denmark was a Kongsberg M595 (or M393, I'm not 100% sure).

It ticked the boxes for all your requirements.

Mine had a sporter barrel, wich kept the weight down. The wooden stock had a nice finish/grain and it had a very characteristic and functional cheek piece. Kongsberg is Norwegian, but I'm not sure if it's still produced in Norway. Shooting factory Lapua ammo with 160 grain Mega bullets, it was extremely accurate, consistently shooting 1 moa or less from a bench.

I've only been able to find a link showing one previously for sale in a Danish gun shop: http://www.huntershouse.dk/kat408-Ri...erg-M.393.html

I've done a quick search, and the rifle looks like the "lakelander" brand, which is marketed here in the UK (sportsman gun centre). However, looking at the new price of the lakelanders, I'm not sure if the build quality is the same.

Enough of my ramblings about a gun you may have trouble finding in the UK. The reason I'm posting is because it really fits the bill if you want a high quality, good looking stalking rifle with a wooden stock.

Good luck,

Christian
    Nice, the second hand one looks really nice. I'll have to keep on looking then. Thanks for the effort.

I have a new Sako 85 hunter in 6.5. Cant go wrong, light, accurate, nice stock I'm sure they'll be a 2nd hand one about. Or maybe a Steyr mannlincer.

There are 14 secondhand on Guntrader. One might suit.

David.

Swedish Husqvarna m96, m98, and 1600 series rifles will suit your needs. Light, strong Mauser action, classic styling.

CZ would probably fit the bill.

David.

sako 75 or 85 mucker yoy won't go wrong

Hi, thanks for your oppinions on this. I've given it some thought now and decided on going for a Steyer Man Stuzen. I've been told that the older pre yr 2000 ones were better made ? Apparently the new ones have nasty plastic bits on them. I've posted a wanted add on the classifieds section. Any thoughts ?