Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Night Out

Big Night Out

Can't help myself but have to post last night's stalk for a roe buck with my son. Has to be the most enjoyable stalk I have ever had [wife thinks I am crazy]. Stuart my son has a young family and puts in a lot of hours at work, but when he asked to go out for a shot some night I was only too happy to ablige. One of the farm's I shoot on has a lot of sheep and all winter they were in fields along the side of a large mixed forestry block , the roe dont like sheep and none appeared on my side till the sheep were sold a month ago but I left the ground quiet. Last night after days of rain we spotted 5 roe 3 fields away, it took us a hour to "crawl" through the sodden fields on hand and nee's sometimes on our bellies in about an 1" of water till we got to a suitable shooting point only for the young buck we had seen dissapear behind a knowl in the field. Any further movement was impossible as there were does in the field as well in view of us, so we had to lie and wait. The young buck appeared about 1/2 an hour latter on top of the Knowl and he new something was not quite right and trotted back towards the forestry only to bring a big buck with him that had been hidden from view. Once off the Knowl they were both shootable and was exactly what Stuart did, both well placed shots and both dead. The older buck although I have never had a head measured has to be medal class and we will get him measured at The Scone Palace game fair this year. Proud or What " THATS MY BOY" soaked to the skin but happy as sand boys.

exellent read i am hoping my boy decides hes into shooting at some stage , i have not pestered him but would like to get him out . At the moment hes at the xbox stage ,hope you get your medal but the stalk will stay with you forever,atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

first class !

any fotos of the big lads heid ?

Quote Originally Posted by 65SWED View Post
    Can't help myself but have to post last night's stalk for a roe buck with my son. Has to be the most enjoyable stalk I have ever had [wife thinks I am crazy]. Stuart my son has a young family and puts in a lot of hours at work, but when he asked to go out for a shot some night I was only too happy to ablige. One of the farm's I shoot on has a lot of sheep and all winter they were in fields along the side of a large mixed forestry block , the roe dont like sheep and none appeared on my side till the sheep were sold a month ago but I left the ground quiet. Last night after days of rain we spotted 5 roe 3 fields away, it took us a hour to "crawl" through the sodden fields on hand and nee's sometimes on our bellies in about an 1" of water till we got to a suitable shooting point only for the young buck we had seen dissapear behind a knowl in the field. Any further movement was impossible as there were does in the field as well in view of us, so we had to lie and wait. The young buck appeared about 1/2 an hour latter on top of the Knowl and he new something was not quite right and trotted back towards the forestry only to bring a big buck with him that had been hidden from view. Once off the Knowl they were both shootable and was exactly what Stuart did, both well placed shots and both dead. The older buck although I have never had a head measured has to be medal class and we will get him measured at The Scone Palace game fair this year. Proud or What " THATS MY BOY" soaked to the skin but happy as sand boys.

Thanks Lads, no photos yet, head still needs some bits and pieces picked off and dried but at the moment it weights 680g approx on the wifes kitchen scales.

Got the head cleaned up a bit so here is the photo. Stuarts head is on the right with a lesser head for comparison.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1847.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	314.5 KB 
ID:	15305

Well done that man, it makes all the difference when it's our son doing the shooting
    Oops, or our daughter for that matter.

Very nice, congrats to you both!
    Jonathan

My Hunting Blog: click here

Its great when your son comes out with you and bags his first beast. My youngest is definitely keen but with two youngsters of his own he can't get out very often. After a couple of blank outings he bagged two roe and I will never forget the look of exitement on his face or the amount of visible adrenalin flowing thru his body....he was shaking like a leaf after it!!

Mulac

Just finnished mounting my sons medal roe head , turned out to be a silver medal but his wife wont allow him to put it up in his house so it has pride of place in mine.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2016.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	199.5 KB 
ID:	18797

Quote Originally Posted by 65SWED View Post
    Just finnished mounting my sons medal roe head , turned out to be a silver medal but his wife wont allow him to put it up in his house so it has pride of place in mine.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2016.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	199.5 KB 
ID:	18797
    Looks great, well done to you both.