Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: moderators

moderators

hi there. my querie is should you store your rifle with it attached or should it be removed. i am asking as ive been advised that removing it will prevent moisture which forms in the mod when its cooling from running down into the barrel and then causing rust and pitting. ?

SD Regular
    Always remove it. You are at risk of pitting the crown and the barrel and worse never being able to get it off. Moderators need maintenance as well as rifles to keep them in top condition. Some go as far as storing their rifles barrell down to take moisture away from the action, but that is a step too far for me.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

I always remove my mods just to be safe but also know a few people who have kept them on without issue... yet

As one rifle smith says "Ahh rust, the gunsmiths friend". Remove it and if you've been out on a damp or humid day take it off before putting the rifle in the slip to drive home, a quick pull /push through with a dry then an oily patch will help as well.

Bob

always remove it and give it a couple of squirts with wd40

that was good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
    Always remove it. You are at risk of pitting the crown and the barrel and worse never being able to get it off. Moderators need maintenance as well as rifles to keep them in top condition. Some go as far as storing their rifles barrell down to take moisture away from the action, but that is a step too far for me.

ok thanks for the info will continue to remove te mod. one other thing is it common for the mod to unscrew its self ie the more rouds fired the more it loosens..?

Yep, that can happen. Usually only an issue on the range when firing multiple shots.

Cheers,

Christian

A mod unscrewing to me sounds like a poor installation and thread. I really do feel that so many are worried about the barrel wall thickness at the muzzle left after threading that they are having larger threads which don't leave a good enough shoulder for the moderator to butt up against and hence the mod comes loose in use.

All of my rifles that accept moderators use the 1/2" UNF thread and the Wildcat P8 has never worked loose. In fact if one tries to remove it whilst hot it can be a bit of a struggle as it's that tight.

If mine did work loose I would be seriously looknig at the fit of it as it should not do so IMHO.

The only rifles I have ever seen having problems are the ones with 1/2 unf threads I could be wrong but think this could be due to there being little wall thickness remaining resulting in much greater and quicker heat build up.

I have never seen this with the metric threaded rifles be they M14 x 1 or M18 x 1 my advice when getting a rifle cut is to go with a metric thread and have it done by a Riflesmith not a gunshop