shooting with out the Moderator

martinl

I'm really considering removing the mod from my rifle.

I have a Sauer 202 outback, 243. fluted barrel synth stock, third eye mounts and Nightforcorce scope, a quality, well made, well balanced rifle that is a joy to use and handle but then i go and stick a 2lb baked bean can (sold as an ASE Northstar) on the end that looks terrible and upsets the whole feel of the rifle.

I use the rifle for foxing and for Roe. So on an outing I'll be lucky if i fire 2 shots, most outings none!

I know they can reduce muzzle flip and protect your hearing and maybe give you the chance of another shot at another beast but I feel i would enjoy my rifle more with it "modless"

I would be interested to know if anyone else has gone down this route and do they enjoy there rifle/shooting more.

For stalking I don't use a moderator, upsets the balance of a rifle too much and I don't shoot enough rounds per year to make any difference to my hearing. Use ear defenders when I'm zeroing and use a Wildcat moderator if requested to do so on a mates ground etc. I'm a firm believer that you don't get more shots if 'canned up' in fact believe just the opposite, that more shots present themselves after a shot without a moderator than with one.

Has to be said I would not be without a T8 on my .22-250 for foxing though.

Tom

I use a muzzle brake and wear ear defenders,no weight on the rilfe which enbables standing quick shots,the deer knows no difference when its legs are up in the air

S202 Outback

Had 1 of these in 25-06 agree with what you say lovely balanced rifle without mod and aweful with it on. But with it off came the problem it kicked like a donkey poor old 222cwd from this site had a black eye and cracked eye socket it made me laugh at the time, as he suggested the best thing for the rifle was ebay!! at the time.:D Maybe try it with a Jet Z its a lighter unit.

Chinky

Had 1 of these in 25-06 agree with what you say lovely balanced rifle without mod and aweful with it on. But with it off came the problem it kicked like a donkey poor old 222cwd from this site had a black eye and cracked eye socket it made me laugh at the time, as he suggested the best thing for the rifle was ebay!! at the time.:D Maybe try it with a Jet Z its a lighter unit.

Chinky

That is simply down to poor set up of the rifle and scope and/or bad technique. There is no way the lightish recoil of the 26-06 should do that. God only knows what would have happened if he tried shooting a rifle with authorative recoil like the .458 Win mag.

I'm really considering removing the mod from my rifle.

I have a Sauer 202 outback, 243. fluted barrel synth stock, third eye mounts and Nightforcorce scope, a quality, well made, well balanced rifle that is a joy to use and handle but then i go and stick a 2lb baked bean can (sold as an ASE Northstar) on the end that looks terrible and upsets the whole feel of the rifle.

I use the rifle for foxing and for Roe. So on an outing I'll be lucky if i fire 2 shots, most outings none!

I know they can reduce muzzle flip and protect your hearing and maybe give you the chance of another shot at another beast but I feel i would enjoy my rifle more with it "modless"

I would be interested to know if anyone else has gone down this route and do they enjoy there rifle/shooting more.

Of all my rifles only Four of them are threaded to accept a moderator or brake. One has never had either fitted and has had the grand total of about 10 rounds through the bore it being an in progress project.

The .243 Midland 2100and 25-06 P-H 1200C were purchased already threaded the 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser I threaded. Despite buying a moderator and taking it out stalking I have never used it to shoot quarry only targets ................................................... paper targets.

My own moderator is large and heavy being a 300 Wildcat Predator 8.

The project .280 AI I intend to make up a muzzle brake for as another project for a couple of reasons. I really only threaded the muzzle as it seemed a good idea to do so whilst the barrel was all set up in the lathe and the gunsmith who submitted the newly barrelled rifle to proof got them to stamp the thread as well. Despite my doing the work the barrel was still on an RFD's ticket and to transfer it there had to be valid proof marks on the barrel. Before it was transferred the barrel and action were blacked.

Personally I do not like sound moderators on a stalking rifle. As for firing more than one shot well may I suggest you look at some of Johns videos as I recall one well the chap fired far more than two rounds taking out several Roe from a group using an un- moderated rifle.

The only reason I got a moderator is to cater for places that insist on their use. I also kept factory ammunition for a couple of rifles to cater for those places that insist on factory and refuse to allow hand loads. It covers all bases and for someone who usually stalked by the outing or booked day it seemed like a good idea.

Poor set up apel swing off mounts S&B scope 117grn factory ammo and a fella behind the rifle that has shot more deer than i care to mention. Unless you have shot a lightweight rifle like this it is no fun. No need for a .458 over here unless your fox cubs get a little on the big side!!:rofl:

hate moderators with a burning passion! the only rifle where one will be used is on my .222 for foxing in the dark so I don't disturb the landowner,,if it was my own land, it would not be fitted!

I dont like using them.

Wear a small foam earplug in left ear when stalking (shoot right handed).
Right ear is naturally protected by rifle positioning / pose when mounted.

Love my mods,I have a couple of ase utra jet z mods,help reduce recoil , reduce muzzle flip, you can see the animals reaction to the shot,you can hear the sound of the strike.

In the hope i dont sound too stupid but what are the advantages of a muzzle brake?

At the moment from all your replies and thanks bye the way, the mod is coming off and will be used when it is required on certain ground.

In the hope i dont sound too stupid but what are the advantages of a muzzle brake?

At the moment from all your replies and thanks bye the way, the mod is coming off and will be used when it is required on certain ground.

The muzzle brake if of decent and proper design will reduce felt recoil. Although soem say it increases the sound it cannot really do so it redirects it and does make it seem louder to the shooter and those near him. It can be very anti-social to those either side of the shooter.

One of the reasons I was going to make one was just to get back at a certain little cliche on the range with their tacticool rifles with brakes who have no consideration for others. I don't need it for recoil reduction really. It might be interesting to see if I can make one that can reduce the recoil and flip enough to see the bullet strike. The larger case of the 280 Ackley Improved should provide a nice volume of gas to re-direct :evil: at a decent velocity too. I believe the 140 grain bullet should be leaving the muzzle at around 3,000- 3,100 fps.

Hi Martini,
I have a Sauer 202 outback .243 with Apel swing off mounts and a Swarovski 8x56 scope and recently put a T8 can on the end. Totally agree it spoils the looks, balance and overall weight of the gun but it does put more deer in the bag, reduces muzzle flip, allows you to see the bullet impact and stops you going deaf - a small price to pay.

I've been out with John YDS and watched the videos where stalkers fire unmoderated 308's at deer and neighbouring deer just stand there - only thing is the deer in his grounds are used to crop scarers, what's another bang. Where I shoot on an FC lease they hear a popgun at 1000 yards and there off never to be seen again.

I've elected to shoot with a mod and keep my hearing and put up with a heavy, ugly rifle.

Willie

Don't use a mod. & never have. Have a mag-na-port muzzle on my rifle, helps reduce muzzle flip, so similar to a muzzle brake. It's a bit loud, but never stopped me taking several hinds/calves if needed. Cheers. :thumb:

stutzen for me ,lovely balance and a pleasure to use ,i dont use a mod on my other 270 anymore and the 300 win might get a break but i just love the way the rifle is without,atb wayne

Until I moved to the UK I'd never used a mod, as they are banned in Denmark.

Shooting roe for the past 19 years I'd say that nine times out of ten, other deer will run if I've shot one in their group. I've only recently started shooting fallow and they do tend to stick around or just mill around when one of them are shot. However, I think that's got more to do with the crack of the striking bullet masking the crack of the rifle, so the deer are uncertain what direction to flee.I don't think the mod makes a big difference in this regard.

I like to protect my hearing, that's why I use mods. I find the weight of my Jet-Z really disturbs the balance and I'm slightly annoyed with it. On my 6.5 I have a Roedale delta alu mod, which is great for stalking, as there is no shift in balance and it didn't come with the price tag of a titanium mod.

I'm sure that muzzle brakes work, but I think they are bad for ones ears. And, I find them a little anti social, as they're quite nasty to anyone standing at your side. Be that at the range or a guide.

I don't like the look of mods, but if they can protect my ears I'll use them.

Back