Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brace of Border Bucks

Brace of Border Bucks

Monday evening saw me heading up the road to one permission where the owner has started coppicing the 20-30 acres of hillside wood. It was copppiced 15 years ago in one part and was coppiced for the second time last year. After a few visits both by myself and Bandit Country,we had seen deer but either off the wood or wrong sex.
    The owner kindly made 2 lean too high seats to cover the coppice area and also a newly felled area which he had replanted with 8000 broad leaf saplings.
    I stopped in the lay by below the hill to glass the fields below the wood but nothing was out. Unfortunatley we can don't have the fields to shoot over. then I notice in the wood walking up the track made by the felling team a roe mouching about, so up the road and parked up. Gear sorted and off towards the track where I spyed the roe. I eventually edged my way round the corner to it's last position but no luck it was gone. So i then cut off the track up to the replanting high seat to wait out for the evening sun to go down.
    Time was going by and nothing moving, when i looked down to my right and movement caught my eye. Two roe where running down through the conifer section out onto the field which we can't stalk over. Doh.
    So nows the time I start to think shall I get down and stalk the track toward sthe edge to see if they were hanging around the margins and maybe get them coming into the wood by chance.
    in the end I decided to stay put and wait for the light to go.
    Looking around with nothing moving your mind tends to wander when all of a sudden a movement in front some 90m away.
    Glasses up and a young buck still in velvet jumps over a fallen pine, then to his left a nice clean 6 pointer making his way through the replanted trees.
    The older buck is in a better position so he became the initial target, waited for him to turn broadside and the sierra 150gr Pro hunter struck home. A quick couple of steppes and in slow mo he fell over.
    Now the young buck was still obscured by a couple of branches so a waiting game was in order. He was more interested in watching his mate on the ground trying to work out what had happened. So he eventually stepped forward and another lung shot was taken.
    He dashed away for 20m and stopped great I thought and then got a second wind a ran like hell over the fallen pine.
    So waited and got kit sorted and made my way over to the first buck. Checked for any reflex, all ok. So hung him up to bleed him.
    This had given the second buck enough time, so went to strick point but couldn't see any pins or paint. Went to where he paused and found a good blood trail and blood all over the tree gaurds. Good slots to follow as well. Eventually tracked him 50-60m in a zig zag from the fallen pine.
    Two shot and recovered deer. ONE happy landowner!!!!

After the gralloch. Checked to see where the bullet had gone through. On both deer their lungs both had 1" holes through them. So am well pleased with the results of the reloads.

Jonathon
    Last edited by 243varmint; 02-05-2012 at 22:19.

Nice footage,Well done.
    Atb John

I enjoyed that thanks for sharing df

Nice one Jonathon, congrats!
    Jonathan

My Hunting Blog: click here

Well done. It's incredible that the 30.06 does not drop them on the spot even more so when the animal is unaware of danger. I ve never used one but my .223 would normally pole axe them in the first situation.

ATB wallace

I would not be happy with that result, neither deer dropping to the shot. I like to see them go straight down , my .243 performs much better than that poleaxing them on the spot.
    The .243 often gets bad press on here but after seeing that clip I will stick with it......

Quote Originally Posted by foxhunter View Post
    I would not be happy with that result, neither deer dropping to the shot. I like to see them go straight down , my .243 performs much better than that poleaxing them on the spot.
    The .243 often gets bad press on here but after seeing that clip I will stick with it......
    Can't really see the problem.
    First buck:
    Was shot through both lungs using a well constructed bullet causing terminal damage to vital organs resulting in the buck going down.
    Second buck:
    Was shot through both lungs using a well constructed bullet causing terminal damage to vital organs resulting in the buck going down after an addrenelin fueled run due to buck in a hightend staight of awaness from first buck being shot in front of him.

Not really an important issue but both deer have minimal carcass damage if any on the first.

The 150gr Sierra pro Hunter has a muzzle velocity of 2650fps so not a very hot load.

Perhaps I should start head shooting all my deer and open another can of worms.

Thanks for the positive replies.

Jonathon

Well done mate great vid i was waiting what seemed an age for the second shot lol

Quote Originally Posted by 243varmint View Post
    Can't really see the problem.
    First buck:
    Was shot through both lungs using a well constructed bullet causing terminal damage to vital organs resulting in the buck going down.
    Second buck:
    Was shot through both lungs using a well constructed bullet causing terminal damage to vital organs resulting in the buck going down after an addrenelin fueled run due to buck in a hightend staight of awaness from first buck being shot in front of him.

Not really an important issue but both deer have minimal carcass damage if any on the first.

The 150gr Sierra pro Hunter has a muzzle velocity of 2650fps so not a very hot load.

Perhaps I should start head shooting all my deer and open another can of worms.

Thanks for the positive replies.

Jonathon
    Just heart/lungs does the job, you nearly gut shot the second one