Thread: how do i get started

how do i get started

hi i'm new too deer stalking and rifle shooting and i want to get involved i currently have my shotgun license and enjoy decoying vermin but i think its time too get involved in other ways of shooting if any1 could point me in the write direction to how i get my firearms license and my rifles it would be a big help thanks alot ben

BASC do an introduction into deerstalking,contact the Deer dept and ask them when the next course is..
    01244573047 ask for Lewis.

regards
    Now

.....Or you could give Eric the Red a call. He's on here, and he's near Hereford - not too far from you.

PM me if you need his contact details.

Regards,

Mike
    (Director - Jelen Deer Services) Home | Jelen Deer Services

Quote Originally Posted by ben crumpton View Post
    hi i'm new too deer stalking and rifle shooting and i want to get involved i currently have my shotgun license and enjoy decoying vermin but i think its time too get involved in other ways of shooting if any1 could point me in the write direction to how i get my firearms license and my rifles it would be a big help thanks alot ben
    Firstly, you are supposed to post an introduction (see the stickies).

That said, don't be in such a hurry to "get my firearms license and my rifles". That would be putting the cart before the horse.

For most beginners we are either invited out by friends or pay for our stalking. In either case, a rifle can usually be provided, no need to have your own.

If you have no experience of centrefire rifles, then the best way by far, is to join a rifle club and learn to shoot safely and accurately.

If you don't want to do that, then some providers have recently started offering introductory courses for beginners.

The typical fee charged would pay for a year's club membership, or a couple of outings with a stalker who could give several hours of 1/1 tuition and even the chance of a first deer.

Get a few deer under your belt, try a few different rifles and calibres, then decide which way you want to go.

Good advise from sharpie, don't be in a rush it's too big a subject to learn what you want/like overnight. Stalking is a great passion for many on here and there will be lots of free advise and help for those that ask for help and no question is too trivial, everybody on here was like you once (although some do forget it).
    Get some local accompanied stalking under your belt with an estate rifle and start to get into our fascinating sport.
    Have a look on sites like Deermanagement.co.uk and there will be trade members on here to offer what you want also.
    Good luck !

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
    Firstly, you are supposed to post an introduction (see the stickies).

That said, don't be in such a hurry to "get my firearms license and my rifles". That would be putting the cart before the horse.

For most beginners we are either invited out by friends or pay for our stalking. In either case, a rifle can usually be provided, no need to have your own.

If you have no experience of centrefire rifles, then the best way by far, is to join a rifle club and learn to shoot safely and accurately.

If you don't want to do that, then some providers have recently started offering introductory courses for beginners.

The typical fee charged would pay for a year's club membership, or a couple of outings with a stalker who could give several hours of 1/1 tuition and even the chance of a first deer.

Get a few deer under your belt, try a few different rifles and calibres, then decide which way you want to go.
    That's actually really good advise. I perhaps jumped in too quick and bought a set-up i'm not so happy with now - its alright, but if i knew then what i know now, i would have gone a different route. Also, if you are expecting a deer caliber on your first Firearms Cert, your FEO will want to see that you know what your talking about, have some experience and have "good reason" to poses. Do the BASC course, join a club etc.....