Do you blokes run snorkels on your 4wd`s

yes some of us do, mostly posers.
but some of us actually use them for their intended purpose.

2-5-12006.jpg

River and creek crossings are all part of the sambar hunting scene in Victoria getting into and more importantly getting back out.However the waters can get up and often an extended stay is required with depths that no snorkel can cope with.
There are around 18 million acres set aside for deer hunting and just as many more for playing in ya 4wd also.
Lots of vehicle drownings occur every year too both with experienced and new chums.

Last edited:
Have a snorkel and a full axle / gearbox breather system. I was always of the opinion that a snorkels main job is to draw clean air from higher up as well as preventing water ingress?

Have a snorkel and a full axle / gearbox breather system. I was always of the opinion that a snorkels main job is to draw clean air from higher up as well as preventing water ingress?

Got the same system on mine Tom, the snorkel is a pain in the ass when you are shooting off the mirror though !

DSC00037-2.jpg

I don't but boy did I wish I had one when I was 17.
Managed to go get the old mans 110 through some very deep water, ie over the bonnet.
Yep all going well building confidence in its ability to ford the deep stuff and you guessed it game over.
Luckily the insurance coughed for most of the bill.
Lesson learned.:oops:

might have to think about a snorkel if we have anymore flippin RAIN !!!

i was thinking the same, i was out walking the dog this morning and we have a small river here thats called the River Bourne, its almost bone dry all year around, today its like a wee burn/stream, nice to see it back to life but iuts an eye opener.

bob.

I am too much of a coward to go near water that deep, anyway the Jimny would probably float off, but what do they do to fuel economy with the extra resistance to air flow? Just a bit curious.

David.

a good snorkle can ram air in making things better.

Yes I personally believe thats true, from 50mph to say 60mph there was on installation of a snorkel to my old 2.6 diesel a marked difference,it literally force feeds air into the donk.

Here's my solution to not shooting off the wing mirror (always hated it anyway, far too awkward)

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTIwNTA0LTAwMjYxLmpwZw.jpg

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTIwNTA0LTAwMjYyLmpwZw.jpg

Tom

If you are going down the snorkel route make sure you ACTUALLY test it as so many people fit it and believe it is fantastic. Well it maybe but then what if it isn't..............
Done a lot of deep wading years ago and you do need to spend the time making a complete tested system rather than a posing useless piece of junk!
Breathers on all connections, gearbox etc. to at least windscreen level. Oh and don't forget your service levels need to rise if you are going to use it to ensure the liquid in the diffs etc. is oil??????

Back